Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw Mike Avery's post about his buddy jigging a 209 lber, impressive after taking me 55 minutes to land a 136 lber :yes:. Hopped on with Carl L. as a ho with my buddy Jeff and his friend Allen for a Sat. overnighter. Long but nice ride from Seaford, Va. Stopped and jigged some sea bass and a nice flounder to break up the long ride. Got to the Wash. at around 5:30 and decided to join the chunkers before setting up the BE troll. Saw some very small YF working the chunks so I put out a light rod with bait and started to jig. My jigging set up was for 30-60 lb. YF ( direct tied braid to 60lb flouro with 2 fisherman knots and a treble hook jig) which made it all the more satisfying to land that fish. The fish went off after bleeding it and spit my jig and 2 of the three hooks were badly bent as well. We also trolled up a 119 lber just before dark and had an awesome dinner of grilled NY strip steaks and roasted red potatoes thanks to Carl and Allen (thanks again guys!!!!) Night was dead for us. Trolled Sun. in the Wash. but nothing so we headed S and had a couple cutters run through the spread but no hook ups, always cool to see that, as well as a couple mystery bites. Finished up with some mahi and banded rude fish on light tackle. Pretty darn good trip as a ho, thanks again Carl for the ride, much appreciated!!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
374 Posts
Saw Mike Avery's post about his buddy jigging a 209 lber, impressive after taking me 55 minutes to land a 136 lber :yes:. Hopped on with Carl L. as a ho with my buddy Jeff and his friend Allen for a Sat. overnighter. Long but nice ride from Seaford, Va. Stopped and jigged some sea bass and a nice flounder to break up the long ride. Got to the Wash. at around 5:30 and decided to join the chunkers before setting up the BE troll. Saw some very small YF working the chunks so I put out a light rod with bait and started to jig. My jigging set up was for 30-60 lb. YF ( direct tied braid to 60lb flouro with 2 fisherman knots and a treble hook jig) which made it all the more satisfying to land that fish. The fish went off after bleeding it and spit my jig and 2 of the three hooks were badly bent as well. We also trolled up a 119 lber just before dark and had an awesome dinner of grilled NY strip steaks and roasted red potatoes thanks to Carl and Allen (thanks again guys!!!!) Night was dead for us. Trolled Sun. in the Wash. but nothing so we headed S and had a couple cutters run through the spread but no hook ups, always cool to see that, as well as a couple mystery bites. Finished up with some mahi and banded rude fish on light tackle. Pretty darn good trip as a ho, thanks again Carl for the ride, much appreciated!!!!!!
Your welcome

and thanks for writing the report

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jig & Hook Pic

Bill,
Doing good. Been getting offshore every couple weeks with some good trips. How about you?
Here is a picture of the jig and hooks, pretty sure the hooks got like this after we landed the fish and it was bouncing around on the deck. I will be putting new asset hooks on the bottom where the treble is as i seem to get many bites towards the back of this jig. J

Attachments

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No not that one, I jig it like a sting silver. Just a pop and let it sink and repeat. If I want different depths I let it out or reel it in and jig the same way. I have speed jigs to do what you are talking about. You can actually troll and jig this one as well. I have had my best luck jigging with this style jig and jigging, if there are fish around it gets bit.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Shimano Saragosa 18000 spinning reel spooled w 65 lb Power Pro and Shimano Trevala 58xxh spinning rod. I use it for a lot more than jigging (deep dropping to about 500 feet, casting bait for mahi and even trolling).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts