Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doug and I were joined on the Sea Biscuit by friends TJ, Chuck and Jack for an overnight trip to Washington Canyon. We arrived at 6:00 pm put out the trolling spread. Right away, a white marlin attacked our port teaser and quick drop back and we’ are hooked up! A few grand jumps and 20 minutes later, my friend Jack released his first white. Pulled the hook on another white before settling down for the night drift. A beautiful starry night which had us visited by whales, porpoises, flying fish, squid and a six foot hammerhead shark that wouldn’'t leave our chum bag alone. In the morning, we started back on the troll and released a small mako shark which managed to grab my lucky towel as it was being tossed over the side. Came close to taking some of Doug's fingers in the process but thankfully not. After noticing boats hooked up to tuna on the chunk and not getting any bites on the troll, we turned back to chunking. I hooked up to a 100 lb + yellowfin on light tackle and 40 lb floro. After 1 ½ hour battle that had me pleading for Tylenol, the 80 lb braid broke and the fish lived to fight another day. Not deterred we got back over the whales and boated 3 large yellowfins over the next few hours while pulling the hook on two more. By then, it was after 7 so we headed to the barn arriving home (Pines Point marina) at 11 pm. Weather, company and crew couldn’t have been better and we’re already looking forward to the next adventure. The key for us was using light leaders and small circle hooks hidden in small butterfish or ballyhoo chunks. We brought live spot and had no bites on them! Some captains reported getting good bites on live squid overnight but we were unable to catch any. Hoping the tuna stick around for a few more weeks! They were monsters and so much fun on light tackle! David

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts