Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Myself and a friend was planning a trip to the James this comming thursday,the 26th, I'm wondering if the water level is up very much? Dayton said he would ask some of the guys and get back to me. He's out of town, so I thought I'd check with you guys. We went a couple of times with high water and the fish had lockgaw. The few that we did catch looked like they were blown up so tight if you polked them they would explode. They feed up and won't bite very well. I would appreciate any help. Thank You.
Moe
PS I read the post by Reel Man 1-21-06. Has anyone else been fishing or out to check water level?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Water level is pretty good, and the clarity is ok. I like it just like this[grin][grin]
Check out this website for water levels
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/va/nwis/uv?02037500

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Hey there Dennis! I haven't talked to anyone who fished this weekend, except for ReelMans report. Here is the river level. Nothing out of the ordinary. Chart looks like this with most every rain. River has been down some. A little more rain called for tonight (Monday), then a nice week. The river should be fine to fish. If you got a partner, and you guys want to fish, I say "come on up". You just never know what the fish are doing. Just as good a chance at a feast than a famine.

I will see what I can hear between now and then. You have my number, keep it with you on the river if you need anything.

Good luck and get us some pictures.

Dayton

·
Registered
556 Posts
Your fish probably need to be burped. they are tight from air getting trapped in their stomachs....not b/c of over eating. There are numerous posts on this board pertaining to this subject. Do a search and some should come up. I'm coming out with an article for procats.com on this subject in the next issue of their online magazine.

Also, rising water can be some of the best times to fish for blue cats. try fishing shallower when the water rises and deeper when it falls.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey I do remember an article or post from somewhere, where the fish had the benns(sp?). The guy used a rubber hose of some sort with a blunt end where it didn't hurt the fish to burp them. Thank you for jogging my memory, John. I don't think the fish we caught were that deep and I don't think we reeled them in that fast. Maybe it happens in nature somehow, maybe they dive real fast or surface real fast on their own to cause it. 'preciate it again Gotthenblues, I'm assuming your name is John by you e-mail address.
ps Thank everyone else for reply also.
pps Don't assume my name is Judy I'm using my wifes' e-mail. My name is:Dennis

·
Registered
556 Posts
it happens most of the time in deep water but it can happen in shallow water. more so in the winter though. I think their slower metabolisms' in the cold winter months contributes to this. Use a small PVC tube or anything that is small and is hollow inside. Sometimes you can relieve the pressure by pushing on their stomach. or they do it on their own from time to time while laying in your boat. Watch carefully when you release your fish. If they belly up then you are going to have to go after them b/c they probably will not live very long.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts