Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

New to this forum - glad to have a trustworthy place for info and reports. Can anyone update me on the water levels and clarity just inside the RAPP? Anyone catching rockfish?

Hoping to get down this weekend but if its a mess still, may not be worth it.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Water Clarity Good

Water Clarity at my pier on Mosquito Creek in the lower Rap (3 miles west of Windmill Point) is surprisingly clear. I can see the bottom in 3-4 feet depth. Before the storm, visibility was only about 2 feet.
I expect that there might be floating debris in the river and bay as water levels were about 2.5 feet higher than normal on the north side of river, and I would not be surprised to learn that the level was considerably higher on the south side of the river.

My first fishing trip after the storm will be to fish the NNAC tournament on Sat. afternoon and on Sunday.
Tom

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
At the mouth of the Potomac, the water at my house was a little cloudy near shore but not too bad. No shoreline debris and nothing visible on the surface as I scanned out to the horizon. High tide this morning was about 1 1/2 to 2 feet above normal near my frontage steps. That seems to be going down with each cycle. I also expect to participate in the NNAC tournament this weekend targeting rockfish. With winds below 10 kts, 75 degrees, and sunny, it looks pretty inviting out there this afternoon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info everyone. Sounds like conditions are favorable and getting better every day. Best of luck to everyone fishing the tournament. Leave me a few for Sunday!:fish:

·
Registered
59 Posts
I caught 10 of these small guys on Monday afternoon off my dock where Rappahannock and Corrotoman converge. It took about 2 hours and I saw a few take the gulp baits and bucktails so fairly good clarity up top.

Food Fish Ray-finned fish Wood Electric blue

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
I caught 10 of these small guys on Monday afternoon off my dock where Rappahannock and Corrotoman converge. It took about 2 hours and I saw a few take the gulp baits and bucktails so fairly good clarity up top.

View attachment 183706
Nice fish!! Did you clean any? Would like to know just for long time info, What was in bellies?

BTW, Water at mouth of York is pretty clear also!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Nice fish!! Did you clean any? Would like to know just for long time info, What was in bellies?

BTW, Water at mouth of York is pretty clear also!
I did not clean any since less than 20 inches. I am fairly new to light tackle salt water fishing but have been asking a lot of questions of locals around Weems and watching a lot of videos on Youtube. I just bought the house in March and have been very pleased with the pier fishing so far. Our pier sits on flats with just 2 to 3 feet of depth most times. Over the past few months I have caught a good bit of stripers, trout, perch, croakers and blue fish. The 4 inch yellow gulp baits (mullets) have the most success for me. I did recently buy some lures from George at Specialized Baits that are handmade. His bucktails (shown in above pic) worked great on Monday night. Still lots to learn but happy so far with my progress. My best results have been early morning and late evening before dark. No real luck so far doing the pier light thing at night.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Sweet. Nice to know they are here.
I was wondering whether to troll or LT. Looks like I'll give the LT a try.

Water pretty clear up around Tappahannock. I did see some logs floating in a Piscataway creek though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts