Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to mount a fish finder on my T-140 and went straight to Hook1 how-to for solid advise and directions.
I have the same battery as pictured (4x4x6 rechargeable). I really like the looks of the case that the battery is mounted in. It looks like an Ipix camera case to me, but can't be positive.
I've been scouring different stores and sites looking for a waterproof box like that, but am coming up empty. Do you know where I "should" be looking? Or will an ordinary tupperware box suffice?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Why not a dry bag and use long power leads so you can wrap them while closing the bag? Hopefully the battery you are going to use is a sealed battery.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a sealed Power Sonic rechargeable. But I would prefer a box that I can mount in place rather that a bag. I'm afraid of it sliding around.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I used a dry bag and left enough cables to fold the bag closed. Then I just tie-wrapped the remaining cable to a scupper hole.

DARREN

·
Registered
284 Posts
I use my kayak for the battery box. If you have enough water in your yak for it to affect the battery, you have bigger problems. I use the 2" foam that goes into tool boxes for cutting out the tools shape. I cut out the shape of the battery on two peices, glue them together and then use lexel to glue that to the floor of the yak between the footwells. I make the hole a little smaller than the battery so that it is a tight fit, that way if I flip the yak the battery stays put.
Chad

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
240 Posts
I put a large swath of heavy duty velcro on mine and in the hull. Should hold it even if she rolls. Tough to pull off.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I tried to post you a link. But I am sooo sure you are aware of kayakfishingstuff.com

Someone just purchase a waterproof clear box that worked great he commented. They even posted the pictures to show step by step prep and placement.
Said it was $3-$4 at Wal*Mart. I saw some @ Greentop also. Maybe this will help?

Good Luck,
'Andrea

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you saw one of my earlier posts, my yak HAS taken on water. I've sealed up the mounting points, but haven't put it back in the water to test yet. So I really do want the battery in a box. I'll stop at WalMart today to look around. And I REALLY like the velcro idea instead of gluing the box in permanent.
Thanks

·
Registered
236 Posts
I built a little wooden tray with 2" tall sides that the batt. sits in. The tray is surrounded by a sticky sided foam strip so the tray doesnt move.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I'm sure you could rig something up with a tupperware box but the dry bag works great. That's what I use and never had a problem. If you are taking on water, you need to fix that!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just hooked one up in a prowler 13. I used an old 12v ryobi battery charger ,that I wired to the power leads of the fishfinder and just pluged in a 12v drill battery.Works perfect. I really didn't worry about making it waterproof,as you should not get water inside the boat.Haven't yet. Love the prowler

1 - 12 of 12 Posts