Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran my 2stroke 115 yamaha yesterday on the muffs for about a full minute or so untill i remembered to turn on the water,dumb:eek: , do the great minds of this board think i did any damage to the water pump or anything else?. Everything SEEMS to be fine. Also, I fished from Cape Henry to Damn Neck twice yesterday and never got a bump, and didnt mark alot of bait or fish, me thinks this cold snap has em south.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
If you didn't hear the alarm bell from the dash you probably didn't heat the engine up enough to do any damage, especially with the air temps we've had. I'd have it checked if you don't feel good about it, now's not the time of year to get stuck out.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Is it worth taking the chance that you didn't? Your turning the impellar creating friction/heat for at least a minute which probably did damage it. I wouldn't take the chance. At the very least tear it down and take a look.

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Does your motor have one of those hose connections for flushing? I just learned something this week from my dealer. He said I needed a new water pump after only 14 months. Normal recommendation is 2-3 years. I asked if he had a pressure gage to check it. He said no that when they run it in the tank they disconnect the hose and see how much water the pump is pumping. Mine was not putting out as much water as this model motor normally does with a good pump. This is something you could check at the ramp if not too busy.

When they removed the pump the impeller was still pretty good but the stainless plate that it rides on was deeply grooved. The only thing I remember that may have done it is an errant sand bar at Cape Cod. Coming in the snaky inlet the markers were not correct, the wind was blowing hard and it was foggy. I got too skinny and gunned it to get back to the channel. If I had gotten out to push in that wind, I may still be there. The sand may have chewed things up some. My alarm never went off but I was glad the dealer noticed the problem and gave me an opportunity to have it fixed.

I would not trust neoprene impellers that ran dry for five minutes. We all do stuff like that once in a while.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I ran my 225 for a brief time not deep enough it the water and it burn't the pump up. Melted the impeller. They turn very fast. If you have the alarm system it should sound after running at cruise a short distance (2-3 miles). Mine still had the water discharge and idled fine without heat up. When I put it on plane after a few minutes it would heat up. About $275 to have a dealer fix 2 years ago.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I say you did some damage! Even if you had the water on its not recommended going above idle RPM's. In my service manual they have pics of different impellers that were run without water..even after 20 seconds there is damage. A water pump kit for a yamaha 115 will run you about 60 bucks and will take you about an hour or 2 to install. Its a simple decission for me.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Okay, the engine can withstand that long without water, but the impeller goes bad real fast. If it was mine I'd get it fixed.

I did the same thing one time. The wife and I got back from a day on the bay and I hooked up the muffs. We were talking. I got in the boat and started it up. In less than a minute I heard some noise and immediately shut it down. Noticed there was no water turned on. I got it repaired. Too risky to be out somewhere and have it fail. These are items the engine manufacturer says should be repleced every (I think) year anyway.

I'd just replace it and be done knowing it's good to go.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replys, it seems to be fine at idle on the trailer,i just changed it 11/2 year ago , hate to change it again if it doesnt need it though, but i guess i will to be one the safe side. As a sidenote , its a 99 year model and i changed the original impeller a year and a half ago and when i took the old one out it still looked real good, blades were all still on and plyable but the plate was grooved and wore down but it still was pumping well with no problems, only reason i changed it was i felt it HAD to be wore out buy then and i was borrowing time. Prob would still be pumping had i not changed it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts