Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello T.F.ers
I was reading in my Yamaha manual about water pump servicing, and it said the impeller should be replaced every 2 or 3 years, my engine is 5 years old and i have not changed my impeller. it has good water flow,and i don't have an overheating problem. i have a hpdi 150 hp outboard. i would like your imput.
Thank you

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
At five years you are pushing the limit. I would have it changed. Towing on the water is $125 per hour and that's from the time they leave the dock to get you to the time they return to THEIR dock. So, I would count on about $400 tow if you're close to home.

Water pump change is usually less than $200.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
RCG - I have the same motor - 2003 - I changed it out in the fall -
$50 in parts and about an hour's worth of work - Check out the Shipyard Island Marine forum on the thehulltruth.com for details on the process.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I would change it, I just pulled mine to look at it and there were a few vanes missing. I have alway had good water flow, I guess I just got lucky. I am going to change mine every two years from now on.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
You should change the the impeller after 2-3 years for above mentioned reasons. Check out the housing also to make sure it is smooth, If not change that also...

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
I have a mercury outboard and changed my impeller last year. Had the boat out yesterday and it's not peeing again?? I don't hit saltwater. I assume it's fairly uncommon to replace once a year, correct? Could this be a sympton of antoher problem?

does anyone have experience replacing them on a merc? Instructions on any forums?

thanks in advance...

j

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Smells like fish, When you changed the impeller did you change the Stainless plate ??? If not then it could trash a new impeller .. Check your T-stats as well along with your water inlet. Is it not peeing at all ????

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Fixit

I had a shop replace it and I don't know exactly what they replaced. What are t-stat?

Can you receommend a good mercury repair person/shop?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
[Q]smells like fish originally wrote:
I have a mercury outboard and changed my impeller last year. Had the boat out yesterday and it's not peeing again?? I don't hit saltwater. I assume it's fairly uncommon to replace once a year, correct? Could this be a sympton of antoher problem?

does anyone have experience replacing them on a merc? Instructions on any forums?

thanks in advance...

j
[/Q]

Are you running in shallow water? Picking up a lot of sand will wear them out very quickly. You may want to check the discharge port....run a piece of wire up in there. It has been many years since I was around OB motors but I don't suppose they have changed too much. Good luck.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Quote :"I have a mercury outboard and changed my impeller last year. Had the boat out yesterday and it's not peeing again?? I don't hit saltwater. I assume it's fairly uncommon to replace once a year, correct? Could this be a sympton of antoher problem? "

Is the pee hose clogged ? If it's not overheating this may be the problem. The pee hose is only a telltale and it doesn't always mean you lack cooling flow.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts