Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not used the boat in 3-4 months and have a question. I have a 2004 225 yamaha 4 stroke and decided to run it in the yard before going out tomorrow. I put the ears on and ran the boat for about 10-15 minutes and didn't get a single drop out of the pee hole. The alarm went off and I shut it down. I have never ran it with the ears, using the flush hose instead. Is this normal??? Should I dunk it tomorrow and see what happens or should I delay my trip and change he impeller? The motor only has 175 hours on it. If you recommend changing it, where is a good place in Va Bch to buy one early, so I don't lose a day to fishing. Thanks in advance.

Joel
"FATBOUY"

·
Premium Member
7,664 Posts
I changed my pump last year and it was a PIA to get the pin out so I could remove the impeler. I would dunk the boat and see if you get better results, I don't trust muffs.

I was told to replace the impeller every other year, but if I were to use the boat more often to do so every year. I suggest contacting a dealer and finding out the reccomended maintenance. I would rather replace my pump before I have a failure.

Norfolk Marine has the pumps IN STOCK.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I found better success with lowering the water pressure to allow the motor to suck up the water. To much pressure will blow it out of the muffs. I also have my water pump replaced every year. Some say this is over kill but... I've never called Sea Tow due to water pump problems.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Ok, first off you CAN NOT run the motor on the flush hose. That is to flush the powerhead only with the engine OFF. Does anyone read their owners manual. If you did that last year, especially when you winterized you were running your motor then with no water getting to the impellar which likely burned up the impellar then. Today when you put it on the muffs the impellar did not have enough blade surface to pump water which is why nothing came out of the pee hole and the motor overheated. So yes, you need a new impellar and you need to replace it prior to heading out. I don't live in Tidewater but find a yamaha dealer and go get an impellar and housingg as you probably damaged that too.

If you want to confirm this before you pull the lower unit get a large garbage can and put it under the motor so that you have the lower unit in the can and fill it with water and start it to see if it pumps then. I think it's too late though.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Can't tell you what you should do, but here are a few thoughts/comments:

1) Water pump impellers can take a "set" when they sit idle, as yours did for several months. Then they don't flex well and fail soon after use.

2) Impellers can last a long time. We just changed the impellers on our 2006 F150s at 385 hours, and they could have run for a lot longer.

3) Impellers can last a short time - particularly if the boat is used in shallow, silty or sandy water... like the bottom of launching ramps. The sand or silt reapidly degrades both the impeller and the housing it runs in.

4) The engine may not get sufficient water if using ears that are "single-sided". You may need to use double-sided ears.

So, where does this leave you? With an engine that ran long enough with insufficent water flow to cause an overheat situation and alarm. Perhaps the water pump failed, or perhaps insufficient water through the ears has now damaged the pump. Perhaps finding the cause of the problem and correcting it - and any additional resultant damage - would be prudent before you launch.

Or make sure your SeaTow or TowBoat membership is paid up...

Brian

·
Registered
16 Posts
Joel,
You might try poking a thin wire (like a paper clip that has been straightened) up the pee hole to see if a bug has plugged it up. I've seen this happen before and fixed it as stated.

Good luck.

LG

·
Registered
108 Posts
I second the wire...when you unhook the small tube coming from the pwoer head inside the cowling, there should be a steady stream...if not then there is probably a problem with the impeller, if so there is a blockage in the pee outlet you should be able to get with the wire.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have the same motor.

Many F225 owners report no water from the telltale when running on the muffs. Running on the muffs should only be for short periods to check the engine.

As mentioned above do not run the motor when using the flush port.

It is possilbe the impeller is fine. It is possible to get an overheat alarm due to inadequate pressure and not ruin the impeller. It is possible it is fried.

It is not a difficult job to change out the impeller/waterpump.

Here is a link with step by step instructions and pictures of an F200 which is near identical except one does not need to cut the pitot tube to remove the lower unit. Reading over this will let you know if you have the tools and confidence to do this job.

Restricted page

Should you want to do this I would suggest getting a complete kit with all the little items needed from Andy at Shipyard Isl. Marine.... getting the complete package he sends you eliminates trying to clean and salvage some easily damaged washers and gaskets. He is here....

Boating & Fishing Forum - Shipyard Isl. Marine Engine Parts

The F225 can easily go 400 hrs (I changed mine at 410 and it looked good) when treated properly.

I would stick it in the water and see what you get.

Richard

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the critisicim(sp?)...just asking a question. For your info the manual only says to flush with the flush hose.. not running. I have never ran the motor with it being "on the ears".. that why I asked the question... I dont have a lot of posts but I have been boating for a loooong time. just courious... Some positive remarks are welcomed..

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
The impeller and pump housing come as a kit. I replaced mine every two years, the last two have looked like new with no noticeable wear.

Troy Marine in Suffolk is who I would go to for Yammaha parts, or if you have the time buy online and save a few bucks.

Lou

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Summed it Up

Brian,
You certainly covered what possibly could be the problem with his water pump/pressure.
I found out the same causes years ago on my first water pump change. It was certainly a good lesson learned and to avoid future water pump problems.
However I did use my engine frequently and flushed with fresh water using the double sided water supply ears.I installed a complete water pump kit every 3rd season.:yes:

BTW, At the end of one season when it was Real Cold I had the lower unit in my dining room Installing water pump Kit and lower unit Gear Oil.:yes:
You can imagine the flack I got from Betty when I did that.:nono:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Brian,
You certainly covered what possibly could be the problem with his water pump/pressure.
I found out the same causes years ago on my first water pump change. It was certainly a good lesson learned and to avoid future water pump problems.
However I did use my engine frequently and flushed with fresh water using the double sided water supply ears.I installed a complete water pump kit every 3rd season.:yes:

BTW, At the end of one season when it was Real Cold I had the lower unit in my dining room Installing water pump Kit and lower unit Gear Oil.:yes:
You can imagine the flack I got from Betty when I did that.:nono:
Everybody knows the dining room is for reel repairs.... the kitchen should be used for motor work:))

1 - 13 of 13 Posts