Tidal Fish Forum banner

Water Quality - Who to call?

2K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  rock 'n load 
#1 ·
I sent the following to MDE and AACO Health Department but I have no idea if it will get to the right people.
Does anyone know who exactly should be contacted?

"
If your department isn’t the one for this, please direct me to whom I should contact.

These pictures are of Saltworks Creek, off of the Severn River in the Severn Grove community in Anne Arundel County. It has been occurring off and on for the last several weeks and is frequently very foul smelling. Our fear is that it is sewage or blue-green “algae”, with either being a major health concern.

Thank you for your assistance."

--
Water Fluid Road surface Asphalt Geological phenomenon
Water Liquid Body of water Lake Flooring
Water Liquid Plant Natural landscape Watercourse
Water Liquid Natural landscape Fluid Lake

Water Liquid Natural landscape Fluid Lake

Water Liquid Body of water Lake Flooring

Water Liquid Plant Natural landscape Watercourse

Water Fluid Road surface Asphalt Geological phenomenon

See less See more
#12 ·
Email this to info@severnriver.org. That's the Severn River Association. I suspect, however, that this is garden variety runoff aided by the heat. We've had some downpours recently and hot weather, a bad mix that causes nasty water most summers, unfortunately. I'm not sure if any communities on Saltworks are still on septic, but if so, that can be a big contributor. Additionally, some unwise development occurred on Saltworks about ten years ago that exacerbated runoff issues.

#14 ·
Thanks all!
I heard back from the Health Department and they were useless unless they could be given an address of someone discharging sewage.
I did email the Severn River Association but have not heard back.
I tried calling/reporting to the DNR but got stuck in an automated phone system circle being automatically transferred back and forth between 2 extensions.
I called the MDE hotline 5 times and was disconnected each time they tried to transfer me. I finally got them to give me the direct number to call. "Katie" was very helpful and took my report. I emailed her the pictures and she called me back saying that they look "disgusting" and they will try to have someone out today but that it could take up to 5 days. She was very apologetic for how busy they are and the delay that this may face.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.