Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unit: Eagle FishMark 320, portable.
Use: Canoe with trolling motor.
Sensor: Mounted to bottom of trolling motor.

PROBLEM: Water temperature reading on screen is about 10F-12F too high. Is the problem in the sensor or the unit? Is there any way to adjust the temp setting? The manual was of no help.

Units works very well at showing bottom, structure and fish... its only the temp readings that are out of wack.

Thanks

·
Registered
999 Posts
Howard, since the transducer/temp sensor is mounted to the bottom of the trolling motor do you think the trolling motor itself is emitting heat onto the temp sensor?

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rod - Engine heat is not the problem. I've been testing the motor with sensor in a cooler filled with water. I also had 2 trusted scientific thermometers in the water to check against the sensor. The motor wasn't even hooked to the battery, just the FF unit.

I have since checked the Eagle website. Their site suggest that kinked wires may affect temperature readings... and the sensor wires show definitely kinked spots. I have the sensor wire strapped to the motor shaft with zip ties. I think raising and lowering of the motor, plus turning, has stressed and pinched the sensor wires pretty bad at a couple of spots. Guess I need a new sensor and new wires.

I thought I had been getting unusally high water temps in the Patapsco. Now I know its the wires and not the water.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Howard, since the transducer/temp sensor is mounted to the bottom of the trolling motor do you think the trolling motor itself is emitting heat onto the temp sensor?
That was also my first thought. Is there a way that you could disconnect the transducer/temp sensor from the the motor to check to see if you get a different reading. And, if in fact you do get a different reading, you'll either have to move the sensor or just remember to deduct the 10° to 12° when reading it.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input guys. Sometimes I'll drift for extended periods of time with the motor off, thus no egine heat, and the temp doesn't then change to a lower reading. I'm sure now thats its kinked wires.

I'm also guessing that once kinking is severe enough to affect temp readings that the damage is irrepairable.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Howard, I think I probably have my FF temp sensor set up the same way on my trolling motor and have pinched or stressed wires too when raising the the motor. I now know to be more cautious when moving the motor up and down not to stress or pinch the wires. Thanks for posting your findings.:thumbup:

·
Registered
507 Posts
Did you calibrate this unit, in the first place? There's a setting int he Menu of the finder which allows you to change it. Use a thermometer to get a good reading, and adjust accordingly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts