Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recall reading that stripers leave the rivers and head deep when the water temp reaches? I'm thinking about taking off work Wednesday and Thursday to fish the Chester river in my kayak. (Easy put-in off East Neck Island) Online says the water temp rose over the last week from 58 to 61.5 today at Tolchester. Question is what temp will the fish head deep? What are the chances that they'll still be in the Chester river in a few days? Any help appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
26,257 Posts
The temperature seems to affect baitfish more then Rock - but the Rock follow where the bait goes - to a certain point. Seems 50 -55* is when most bait is gone from shallows

The mouth of Chester should be very good right now. The Rock are in schools and moving around - so tough to pin point any hot spot for you. Birds will often give fish away. If you see birds - use fish finder too - not all the fish will be under the birds. Often plenty are in general area - let everyone else chase the birds , while you pick off fish they ran past.

Keep in mind - sometimes the water down 15-40 feet will be warmer then surface. Area around Swan Point / Love Point has a lot of good edges in this depth range.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts