Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a day trip down to Eastern Neck Island yesterday, thought the stripers might be in but not a touch all day except for 2 dinks. Tried all my usual spots but nothing. I know I've had more success in October and November so should I just wait for the water temps to drop, when would you usually expect them to come in more to the river? Wind was blowing steadily all day and made kayaking tough - I've got a motor for this kayak that I didn't bring, next time. I did get a few nice pics of some snowy egrets that made the trip worthwhile. I come down from SE Pa. Hi to Andy Pat...
Bird Beak Plant Water Body of water
Bird Water Vertebrate Plant Beak

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
Hi Fishinmusician1 Good to see you showed up again. Beautiful pictures. Looking forward to your Oct. Nov. fishing reports in my one time home river. I hope you do as well as you always did in Oct. Nov. Them pictures are really nice. Thanks! PS. I don't make fishing reports on this site anymore. But I will be reading yours and all others.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Fishinmusician1 Good to see you showed up again. Beautiful pictures. Looking forward to your Oct. Nov. fishing reports in my one time home river. I hope you do as well as you always did in Oct. Nov. Then pictures are really nice. Thanks! PS. I don't make fishing reports on this site anymore. But I will be reading yours and all others.
Thanks Andy, looks like the water is still too warm. Look forward to get down there again when things change. Tight lines to you!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When the white tail and sika start rutin heavy the fish in the rivers feed up halloween to mid November for me. I hunt the morning fish the mid day and hunt the evening or hunt all day and wish I was fishing .😂
That sounds about right and what I remember. I didn't get down last year and jumped the gun this year. Good luck with the hunting and fishing. :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I start fishing for them at 68 deg. and below. Bigger fish and a low chance of needlesly killing any like in warmer water. Catching them is fun but kiling them for fun isn't good. We all lose in that game.
Yeah you got that right, the correct way to do things and give the fish the best chance. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
1,058 Posts
They're all over the shallows right now, but the water temps are holding 74-76 degrees depending on the depth, the deeper water is the warmer water.

Reactions: TDog3

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm having good luck with top-water in the Ptap. What lures are you using, or are you trolling?

Mike
I'll have to pick up a topwater plug. I use mostly bucktails with long twister tails and some minnow plugs like the husky jerk. Next time I'll have my motor (electric) on my kayak so I will be able to troll.

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
1,058 Posts
I'll have to pick up a topwater plug. I use mostly bucktails with long twister tails and some minnow plugs like the husky jerk. Next time I'll have my motor (electric) on my kayak so I will be able to troll.
Last October I was out in the Little Choptank and the wind was howling on our kayaks I sent M back to the harbor and I told her that I was gonna drift back through a school of breaking fish. I felt like I had run a damn marathon by the time I got back. Never did get a bite.

·
Registered
12,112 Posts
Paddling in a head wind is 2 strokes forward and one stroke backwards with the wind pushing you back. I always check the wind and tide direction before I go .If you're going against those 2 going out, comng back is alot easier after you've been paddling a while and are getting tired if the tide and wind don't change and you can ride with them back in

·
Registered
752 Posts
FYI, Hogy Lures was having a sale on many of their lures, including poppers. They have some 3/4 oz, 4" size for $8, and they're a darn good lure, built better than the Stillwater Smack-its since they're through wired and have stouter split rings & better hooks too. They had the bigger 5" sizes on sale also.

They also had some of their sliders on sale too.

For pricing now on lures, that's not bad for a well built Striper lure.

I bought several of the different sizes & colors, and am looking forward to using them here on the lake for both the Stripers & some LM bass. Our waters are still very warm, and right now low too. SC does a good job with closing the season here on Santee Cooper for the Stripers when the waters are warm. Our season starts in the fall, Oct 1 to June 15.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Last October I was out in the Little Choptank and the wind was howling on our kayaks I sent M back to the harbor and I told her that I was gonna drift back through a school of breaking fish. I felt like I had run a damn marathon by the time I got back. Never did get a bite.
That reminds me of this past Sunday. I paddled out to my first spot and tried without any luck, I noticed the wind was really picking up. Paddled up a little further, cast out from the bank and caught 2 dink stripers two casts in a row. I thought it might be a good sign but the rest of the day was dead. After catching the dinks I paddled across the river to a far off point I've had luck with before. Nothing. I did see some birds diving further out on the Bayside and paddled towards them, but the more I paddled the further away they got and paddling against the wind and the waves, I decided no more. Came back the other way, at this point the wind was blowing me further out and I let it go too long. The long paddle back was against the wind and what seemed like the tide, endless drudgery. I wanted to stay longer but at that point I could see it was a waste of time with that damn wind. I did get those pictures so that made it worthwhile since I've been doing a lot of bird photos when I'm not fishing. I have a motor which will get me around just fine when the time is right, I'll be back.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Paddling in a head wind is 2 strokes forward and one stroke backwards with the wind pushing you back. I always check the wind and tide direction before I go .If you're going against those 2 going out, comng back is alot easier after you've been paddling a while and are getting tired if the tide and wind don't change and you can ride with them back in
I have to figure it different, but next time I'll have my motor (it's a Bixpy if you want to look it up). I launched at Bogle's Wharf a few years back and came all the way up around to the bridge and back and still had good power on the way in.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts