Tidal Fish Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Back in the Creek the rockfish have been bustin on the bunker. No birds around because there are so many schools of baitfish all over the Ptap.

Mike
There's some good news. :)
I chased those bastards for 2 miles and got Jack Schitt for all that effort.
Tough when you're in a kayak, hopefully next time the motor will make a difference. By the way I was checking for this thread a few minutes ago and it seemed like it disappeared. Hope I'll see it again. :oops:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
FYI, Hogy Lures was having a sale on many of their lures, including poppers. They have some 3/4 oz, 4" size for $8, and they're a darn good lure, built better than the Stillwater Smack-its since they're through wired and have stouter split rings & better hooks too. They had the bigger 5" sizes on sale also.

They also had some of their sliders on sale too.

For pricing now on lures, that's not bad for a well built Striper lure.

I bought several of the different sizes & colors, and am looking forward to using them here on the lake for both the Stripers & some LM bass. Our waters are still very warm, and right now low too. SC does a good job with closing the season here on Santee Cooper for the Stripers when the waters are warm. Our season starts in the fall, Oct 1 to June 15.
I'm looking at ordering a topwater online called the Mojo Macky, it's made by Thundermist Lures and they're based in Canada. Good products, mostly freshwater stuff but I've had great luck in lakes with their jigging spoons. Looks like a great lure, 5" long, and from their videos it looks like it does the job well.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Andy, that's a good lure too! I have several Chug Bugs in various sizes. One of my favorites for Stripers is a pink Chug Bug.

That Hogy popper has a slanted face, so comes through the water pretty good and will walk. I took one of each size over to the lake one morning and tossed them to see how well they might cast and how well they moved. It's very much like the Stillwater Smack-it & some of the old Rebel poppers I have.

Fishinmusicina1, I subscribe to Thundermist lures email newsletters so am familiar with them, but have not bought any lures from them. I just checked out the topwaters, so see what you mean. I have plenty of other topwaters, but that popper they have does look interesting. Looks like they also come with some decent hardware. I make similar jigs, so usually fish my own.

Awhile ago someone recommended to me to get a couple of Ima Lures Big Sticks & Skimmer lures for targeting Stripers. He said that he was using them in rivers, and I'm fishing a lake, but I still got a couple in Bone color. I very much like them too, as both are easy to walk and they get strikes.

I do like the fact that some lure companies now are realizing they need to be putting better hardware on their lures. I spend a small fortune changing hooks & split rings for lures I buy. That has been one of my issues with the Smack-it's, the split rings aren't sized properly, too small and not strong, so they deform, and they use trebles that need to be upgraded. For the price tag, they should be better.

I don't even know if they still make this color Chug Bug.

Glasses Ruler Office ruler Rectangle Musical instrument

·
Registered
742 Posts
Best top water for me is creek chub striper strike. It’s always funny when someone that has never fished one complains about it sinking.
I've never been brand loyal, so will try most anything. Some of the first "Striper" lures that I used were the Rebel poppers and the Striper Strikes, but I seem to recall that there were other brands that made a similar lure.

All of these lures, the photo's were taken when they were newly acquired.

Those little Tsunami poppers produce well too sometimes.

The two big wood prop lures were made by Luhr Jensen, and were not sold as a Striper lure, but they will work. As big as they are, they're probably not something you might want to be casting from a kayak, but they're fun to fish with. I change the hooks on them to VMC permasteel trebles, or will use single hooks too.

I have a bunch of wood surf lures, and used them quite a bit at one time when we fished the bay. I haven't used them much here in the lake. I have one small wood surf lure that's made like a Jitterbug, and it's been fun to play with, but haven't caught anything on it yet.

The little chrome popper with the white tail feathers, in the photo below the two Striper Strikes, blue head & the green one, is sold by Bass Pro Shops. They call them Tournament Specials, and they're very inexpensive, like under $3. Of course the hardware on them needs to be replaced, but they've been surprisingly good little lures. They're particularly good for creeks. My fishing buddy & I once caught all kinds of fish on those small poppers in a small creek off the Honga River.

I've collected a lot of lures over the years, and now it's as much fun trying different ones, as it is catching on lures that have produced well.
Fish hook Bait Fishing lure Fishing bait Surface lure
Fish hook Surface lure Bait Fishing bait Vertebrate
Ruler Office ruler Tape measure Surface lure Tool
Banana Surface lure Banana family Saba banana Handle
Food Banana Banana family Surface lure Cooking plantain
Automotive lighting Surface lure Vehicle Fish Rectangle
Fishing lure Fish Surface lure Bait Fishing bait

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Down by Annapolis, I've found over the years that I often see a lull starting around late-August/early September and going into early October. That said, a strong cold front can get things going anytime during this period. We're getting a pretty strong one tomorrow. Fishing might pick up just before the front gets through, and then early next week as things settle down and the cool nights start to take a bite out of water temps.

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
995 Posts
Down by Annapolis, I've found over the years that I often see a lull starting around late-August/early September and going into early October. That said, a strong cold front can get things going anytime during this period. We're getting a pretty strong one tomorrow. Fishing might pick up just before the front gets through, and then early next week as things settle down and the cool nights start to take a bite out of water temps.
It was like that this year in the Choptank, the Rockfish dropped off and the damn catfish bite picked up.

Reactions: goose70

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Agree with Jeff, we are in a predictable lull. Went last night with Mom and Matt. Fished for four hours and caught only about 10 keepers all fairly small except one 24 incher and Mom caught a 26 incher. Cold front may change things, fingers crossed.

All fish caught shallow except for a few caught jigging in 15 feet.

Pat

21 - 34 of 34 Posts