Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Water temp at Rapp range light this morning is back up to 61. Will large ocean rock come up the Bay with water this warm? Hopefully, the large numbers of menhaden seen recently (if the Reedville boys don't catch them all) will be enough to attract them.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Jim I think water temp figures in to a degree but food source is the bulk of the Equation. Last year we had water temp and no bait and water temp didn't do a good job of pulling them in, they kept heading south to NC. I personally think a good mehaden run can overide almost all the other factors and they go where the food is. I think fish only have two things on their mind breeding and eating. Spring run is driven by breeding. Fall run by eating and fattening up for winter. Just my two cents. I am seeing peanut bunker and small spot in the stomachs of fish were catching which is better than the nothing glass minnow or trout I saw last year. Water is cleaner and better this year too. I think were in for a better year than last year. I am concerned that we are not seeing the numbers of 19 to 22 inch fish we should be seeing but figure that might be from a poor year class of fish and hope its not from that mycro whatever stuff.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bobby. You have been at this a lot longer than I have. Unfortunately, I have to take what the weather gives me on the occasional day off and so far the wind gods have not been kind. Hope to get out next week for a day or two.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Jim If Im out there feel free to call and I'll put you on what Im on. If its big stuff I might ask you to call me on the Cell to hold down the number of boats until I can get my crew a limit. Oh and if your on something feel free to call me too[grin][grin]

Have a good one

Bobby

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I think that next year will be good as there seems to be a lot of 15-17 inch fish - or maybe that is all that I seem to be finding.
I sure hope the cold snaps a little for us in the next week so the Thanksgiving run is primed up.

Feeshon Aboard the Jezebel II[grin][grin]

·
Registered
195 Posts
Bobby,

Last Fall at the charter boat captains meeting, a VIMS PHD reported that 70% of the 16-22" fish were sick; not with the lesions that we see on their skins, but internally. I believe, from the numbers of fish NOT seen during both the Spring and now the Fall seasons, that that class of fish died off during the winter. It has not been reported this year, so our chances for the future should be better. You're right on as far as water temp and food supply is concerned. Often it is water temp that dictates how much food supply is available. Many want to blame the menhaden fleet, and I'm sure that they don't help this time of year. However, they can't catch all the bait, whereas, water temperature will sure drive the bait from the Bay. All you need to do is watch the catch at VA Beach during Dec. and Jan. Cold front comes through, bait goes offshore and farther south. Water temps return, bait shows up again.

·
Registered
109 Posts
bobby
i was out last week, cant remember wed or thur. saw a lot of bait in your area and some small fish. went farther east , still plenty of bait , less fish, but nicer fish. mostly blind trolling with a few chickens. got a limit up to 25 in between your area and the bottom of the cut. only one fish caught off the upper baits. deep baits were the trick and white best color.
frog

·
Registered
512 Posts
Richard I had better start coming to more meeting to keep up to date(Will now that you all are using Lowerys). Thanks for the Info. Are you all still chuming and LTJ or is the Trolling starting to come on up there. Heard about the 51icher off Solomons.

Frog I call for you Friday and Saturday but couldn't raise you. Guess I should have went a little farther and it might have payed off. Thanks for the heads up. Pete caught his big fish trolling within 30 yards of me so guess I wasn't rubbing my rabbits foot right. Im fishing Fri- Sun give me a call if your out.

·
Registered
561 Posts
dont know whether its correct or not but I have also heard that salinity may also determine if the big ocean rocks make the turn into the bay.

Andy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts