Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help guys, my wife is freaking out about all these "lost at sea" fisherman lately, One of the (2 from last weekend) guy's brother works at our shop.....sad. She wants, (so do I) me to have a vhf radio (marine band) for saftey...problem is (as always) is funds are tight...and we are trying to save for a trip back home to ND (havent been back since last Sept) Sooooooo.....does anybody have a good, cheap, used, WATERPROOF (or i suppose i could put it in a dry case), marine band radio....(one with weather?)
That they would sell or trade (i am an auto mechanic...will work for food[wink]) lol....bm me or let me know......peace out!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Everyone out there needs to have a VHF, it's as important as a PFD or BVDs. Not only for safety reasons, but so you can alert your fellow kayak brothers of a bite. I've got an Icom M32 that was less than 150 clams. I would not go any cheaper. With the abuse and misuse we put our equipment through, you gotta have a radio you can depend on. Then you gotta get a cool handle like Smokey and the Bandit. BTW: Tidewater Kayakers monitor channel 72.

·
Registered
580 Posts
My wife bought me a first aid kit for the yak. I think it is debatable on what you need and don't need to bring along. You can have all the **** in the world with you but that won't save you from getting run over by some wacko powerboater. I also think that having to much gear could get in the way to the point of entanglement. It depends on what type of trip you are on.

Face it, everything you do is a risk! You have a better chance of dying in a car wreck on the way to the ramp than you do in the water if you take a few precautions.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Personally I feel a VHF is not all its cracked up to be as far as safety is concerned. I was always told that a VHF is only as good for as far as you can see...at least from the end of the antenna. Well if you are in a kayak, that signal isn't going to be going real far. For the places we go, I think a cell phone would do you more good then a VHF in the case of an emergency.

If the idea is to warn other boaters, then you need an air horn (one of those can horns).

The best way to be safe is #1 tell someone where you are going, #2 wear a lifejacket, #3 dress for the weather and lastbe aware of the weather.

Really the only benefit I see fromt he radio is keeping in touch with buddies.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The VHF marine band radio is a good investment. Getting one that is waterproof will cost you a little cash. You wil have to compromise to keep the cost under your budget.

As for range...person to person depends on the height of the transmit and receive antenna. The Coast Guard has some of the highest antennas around and they will hear you from a distance farther than line of sight for you. Also, if you are calling a distress on Ch. 16, other boaters with a radio are required by Coastie regs to render aid if they can.

I do feel safer with my radio onboard...the fm radio functions are real nice.

Kevin

·
Registered
107 Posts
I saw one at BPS, Uniden Atlantis. $99.95 Hard to beat that price. And yes, all VHF radios are line of sight as far as the signal goes and most handhelds are about 5 watts max. Might get the job done in a pinch. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Other extra safety items:

1)Like Goby said, an air horn.
2)Flares; handheld and if you really want to be safe you can get the kit with the gun and handheld in a waterproof case for about $40. I have one on my powerboat.
3)EPIRB-that would be going overboard, they are expensive as ****.

Here's a question. Can you get a 100% waterproof cell phone? If so, that would be my choice.

·
Registered
92 Posts
If you're going to get a handheld, make sure it is on your person. Some kind of holster or pocket with the radio tied to your vest. My wife wants me to start assembling a survival vest like I wore when I was a CG Helicopter crewman. They can get heavy, but will save your life.

ps handheld's are 1 watt, line of sight is 7 nm at sealevel.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I looked at the atlantis, and a couple other cheaper (sub 150 range) they are only "splashproof" that i know from experience means if you spit on it, it will burn out. I think "submirsible" is the level necessary. My cellphone is neither... and cells require line of sight also...to land. As far as range, line of sight on the water is 7 miles from a ship( prolly farther from tallest ships antennae mast), that is farther than i can yell....yak to yak is 2.3 miles(3feet up). I agree that too much clutter can be troublesome, but i would sooner leave my fishing rod behind before i leave my pfd. And what good is it to stay afloat if you cant call for help?

·
Registered
580 Posts
I am not suggesting that you leave your PFD home. I'm just saying that you can really never have enough stuff for any situation so pick and choose a few things based on what you can comfortably carry with you and your budget.

Here is another idea for safety:

Tie yourself off to the kayak. That way if you fall off you won't loose the boat which could happen especially if you are anchored in a current. But if you do that, keep a small sheathed knife on your life vest so you can cut yourself loose if you have to.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did i mention my wife want me to have it.......i gotta make her feel i am safe, or i dont get to go.......and i just GOTSTA go...thus the need for a radio.[wink] Just need to pony up the dough to get a waterproof (rechargable) one. Anybody want to buy a kidney???[grin]

·
Registered
107 Posts
There are waterproof cases to carry your radio in. Check them out at Wild River Outfitters.
Don't you just hate it when you're on the beach ready to launch and realize you've forgotten something?
For me, it's the four P's:
PFD - NOT going out without one!
Paddle - CAN'T go out without one.
Phone - WON'T go without one.
Pole - AIN'T fishing without one.

·
Registered
35 Posts
VHF radio was on my list of safety items to add to my gear.
I picked up the Uniden Atlantis 250 today on sale at BPS. It claims to be waterproof (I do have a Aquapac for handheld radio) and comes with a rechargeable battery. Can transmit in 1 or 5 watts.
Not a bad deal for a peace of mind.

Robert

·
Registered
302 Posts
I carry a cell phone, too, but don't rely on it for communcation on the water. I'd hate to fall in, loose my yak, and be floating out into the great abyss with only a cell phone to call the Coast Guard. "Can you hear me now?!?"

Coasties can pick up a handheld signal for about 30 miles. Hopefully they can find me before I get that far to Africa. Honestly, I can't stand when people recklessly put themselves in harms way and expect rescue workers to bail them out. However, it's good to know they are there if you need them. I carry a whistle, strobe light, VHF, PFD, cell phone, headlamp. I gotta get some flares and figure out a way to attach my VHF to my bootie. (Good point Tom)

Good article in the Pilot this morning about playing in cold water. Be careful out there.

Ric

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.