Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wavy Local Channel 10 will at 6 PM have a story on their investigation on the unnecessary and wastefully killing of the Stripers down in North Carolina.
Chuck

·
Registered
433 Posts
I watched the story and it listed Maryland as one of three states that allow commercial trawling for striped bass. Is that true? Is trawling allowed in MD?

·
Registered
107 Posts
My email to NC Fisheries officials, Dare County elected officials and the governors office:

I read in outrage how the NC Fisheries service continued to allow for the wanton waste of OUR SHARED resource, the striped bass.

When the first horrific kill happened, I wrote to say that we would not support a state that allowed this to happen. The season was halted and we were all hopeful. Then the kill happened again and the wasteful trawling practices were allowed to resume in a blatantly illegal vote rife with conflicts of interest.

For this reason, my boat will not come back to NC waters. The dozen of so guests that fished with me this winter will not come back. Slip fee's, licenses, tackle, fuel, hotel and restaurant revenue that NC will not see again from my group.

For the last ten years or so, we also rented a beach house in Buxton in December for fishing off the beach. About 15 guys from our group have enjoyed coming for many years. We have agreed to cancel this trip and instead go to Delaware in November. Again, thousands and thousands of recreational dollars for NC are lost.

I understand that this will hurt the local people of North Carolina that support the recreational industry, and not the commercial fisherman. But the state has given us no choice.

I can't vote in North Carolina, but I can vote with my dollars, and the actions of the NC Fisheries service just forced me to vote to spend that money elsewhere.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I watched the story and it listed Maryland as one of three states that allow commercial trawling for striped bass. Is that true? Is trawling allowed in MD?
As I can gather this is true only in the Maryland portion of the ocean NOT in the Chesapeake bay... IMO one of the major problems with it done in NC is the access about 90% of the breeding stock winters there so the trawlers have access to them for about 2 or 3 months.. vs in the MD ocean these fish normally don't hang around they are passing thru going north or south... though I think the harvest and discard laws are different here... if we can get NC to do the RIGHT thing we can ban ours too....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts