Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tune in tonight at 6 to see Controversial Catch, a feature on Omega's greedy and destructive fishing practices. Thank you Wavy for doing some real reporting and taking this issue on. I've been a lifelong 13news viewer but from now on its WAVY 10!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Hope some of us here in the upper bay get a chance to see it. Anyone know if it is avail in Cent MD or on cable channels?

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Hope some of us here in the upper bay get a chance to see it. Anyone know if it is avail in Cent MD or on cable channels?
I'm sure Wavy will put it on their website after it airs at 6 pm. Here is a preview. All anglers should watch this and get involved.

http://wavy.com/2015/10/19/special-investigation-huge-menhaden-haul-a-controversial-catch/

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
Why not talk about Menhaden numbers and overfishing and all other states have all but removed Omega for a reason ?
If I was someone sitting home eating dinner and knew nothing about fishing, that report wouldn't even have me raising an eyebrow

·
Registered
128 Posts
I would probably argue from the angle of the environment. A lot of people could care less about fishing, none on this site though, but how many politicians are willing to do harm to the environment. Aren't menhaden a filter fish? I believe they are the most common filter fish in the bay? Isn't every one from nc to Pennsylvania concerned about the water in the bay? I've never understood why the environmentalist have allowed omega to stay in the bay. They have the money to lobby to get them out! I know this is a fishing site!

·
Registered
172 Posts
I would like to talk about the things that Wavy left out. Omega was well aware of this report way before today and you can bet that their PR department was working close with Wavy to help shape the report so as not to make Omega look bad. Perfect example is that they claim that Omega is catching fish by the thousands, sounds better than thousands of tons. Wavy did an excellent job on this report and I hope that they continue to report on it but they are limited in what they can say because Omega is not breaking any laws. At least not any we've been able to catch them at. And now on the political front Wavy does not want to do anything to upset any politician so as to upset their access to those politicians. Politicians here in Virginia get a lot of money from Omega for their reelection campaigns so they are not going to speak up and say anything bad about Omega and when it comes time to defend them they certainly will. It is certainly pass time to bring to the publics attention the fact that these fish are controlled by the legislature and not by the VIMS. The fact that these are the only fish in the bay that are controlled by the legislature should give people a hint as to why the politicians are involved. I believe that our efforts to bring some control of the menhaden fishery to the Chesapeake bay will only be achieved by political means. We must educate the people of Virginia about the menhaden and bring as much pressure as possible on the politicians.

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Why not talk about Menhaden numbers and overfishing and all other states have all but removed Omega for a reason ?
If I was someone sitting home eating dinner and knew nothing about fishing, that report wouldn't even have me raising an eyebrow[/QUOTE

Hopefully there are more segments to this series and they will get into the details.

Kevin
Weekend Mistress

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
I totally agree with other that this report did not even touch on the real damage that Omega is doing to the bay. If I was Omega' PR department, I would be happy with this half-a$$ reporting of the issues with Omega. Now this report is out there and the unaware general public thinks that the issue with Omega is a little fish slime on the water.

Wavy should have cut their production cost and just aired the video : http://www.menhadenmovie.com./

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
I too was disappointed. Like Kevin ,I think we need more people to get involved and they did not
" Tell the whole truth" The closing is what bothered me (most). Omega was just taking their limit.
It was what I consider a half truth. That could have easily been changed with-in the time they had to report.

Of the entire East coast limit Omega is taking most of the menhaden limit in Va waters and inside the Chesapeake bay.

And they should have included that all east coast states - except Va- have stopped the industrial scale fishing of menhaden
inside of their waters.

·
Registered
235 Posts
http://wavy.com/contact-us/ You can leave comments about the report at his link.
Thanks for the link. I just posted the below and am notifying everybody I fish with locally and in MD to post something similar as well.

Thanks WAVY for bringing up the issue of OMEGA Protein in the Bay and hopefully you will continue to dig into this issue to bring more awareness to the general public and put some pressure on the virginia politicians who continue to support this operation. Myself and many others would love to see an investigative resource like yourself report on the issues that concern us from an environmental, economic and resource standpoint, as well as the political issue you reported on last night.

Some of these areas would include:

1. The economic benefits to Reedville compared to the economic impacts to the rest of the best Bay area (such as local bait, charter and recreational fishermen, bait and tackle shops, hotels, restaurants, etc.).
2. How much money OMEGA donates to Virginian politicians, which ones have received money, and how have they voted on issues affecting the Bay.
3. Why the management of the fishery is done the way it is and follow up with Barry Knight on what he and others are doing to change it.
4. Why did the other states stopped this fishery in local waters but virginia didn't.
5. How the quota is calculated and does it make sense (coast wide vs local, ocean vs Bay, adult vs juvenile, etc).
6. Why was there a 20% reduction and subsequent 10% increased the Governor was touting.
7. The filtering capability of the fish in the Bay and the studies conducted or lack of information available between the juveniles in the Bay and adult fish in the ocean.

There is plenty of qualitative assessments, anecdotal evidence, and points and counterpoints floating around out there that a serious unbiased investigation could iron out such as the filtering issue, the quota reduction being in line with science, yearly catch averages or manipulated to unjustly support local catch allocations, political influences, environmental and economic impacts, etc.

I would also recommend contacting organizations such as the CCA, MSSA, CBF and others who have been reporting on this issue for many years and have a wealth of knowledge, insights and concerns that should be looked into to.

Thank you for your time,

Captain Mike Griffith
757-687-9093
chicsbeachrentalandfishing

·
Registered
356 Posts
grif105 nice read. That makes two of us that have contacted Wavy. We all need to send them a comment. This is the best chance for something to change. If you do not contact Wavy, do not complain anymore about Omega.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts