Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
It's hard to use and can leave a "swirly" finish but Bowling Alley Wax lasts longer than anything I have tried. This months Consumer Reports has an article on auto wax. It concludes that liquid Turtle Wax is a superior product.

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
Last year I started using the Turtle Wax car wash to wash down the boat (deck and gunnels) and it works great. This year I waxed everything inside the water line with Turtle Wax spray and it looks great and is really easy to use. I'll have to see how it holds up but it takes less than a 1/4 of the time that other waxes take so that alone may make it worth while.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Gel coat is kind of fussy.....best to only use a wax that has Carnauba as an agent.......silicone or other such additives (teflon included) tend to yellow and make gel coat dull and also affect patching later on if needed........

here is the wax i happen to use......but there are many other companies offering different wax products with carnauba as the base.....

http://www.bassboatsaver.com/order.htm

this is as easy as it gets, spray a bit on a damp rag and rub into the boat lightly.......cleans, waxes and polishes in one smooth stroke......

·
Registered
74 Posts
Seahunter is right, it last longer than anything else I have used. Just make sure you use it as per directions. Just do a 3 ft. section at a time and take it off before it dries. The other thing is to not use soap on your boat anymore than you have to. If you can rinse your boat off without using soap the wax will hold up much longer. I would rather have my boat not spotless and know there is a good coat of colinites fleet under that light film af dust. If you have to use soap use the mildest car wash or boat wash you can find. Never and I repeat never use dish soap! it is a grease cutter and it will strip the wax right off!
[smile]

·
Registered
54 Posts
What about Policoat. It was recommended on this board to spruce up old boats. I used it on my old 88 18ft hull and it did a terific job. After a couple times in the water, it did not yellow as in previous trips.
Its a little salty, about $60 for a quart but I put on 6 coats and only used half the bottle.
Dave

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
[Q]karlista originally wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. I am trying this year Starbright Polish with Teflon. I just finished the new Grady and it went on fast and easy. Let's see how how it lasts.
[/Q]
I've been using that wax for a number of years and it works very well. It also has UV inhibitors in it and that is immportant because UV causes problems.

It is also important to wash down the boat and get the salt off each time you're back from a trip. The reason is that the salt (after the water has dried) acts like tiny magnifying glasses and "burns" the gel coat in bright sunlight. Same problem exists for your clear vinyl curtains.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.