Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I know this is way way off topic but here goes anyway, not much fishing going on right now I guess. We just got fully back up to speed last night after losing power from the storm, then having it on and off for a few days (mostly off) than not having internet and cable until today.

Although it was an inconvience, my nieghbors (we recently moved to Bethesda) honestly thought they were going to die. It was unbelievable. I guess it did take Pepco a while to get us going again, but these people thought the world was going to stop and Pepco was the devil.

People, you all have fireplaces, you all have grills and if that's not good enough Wal-Mart has generators. And if you don't, I do and your more than welcome to come by . . .

But these people did not want reasoing, they wanted blood, Pepco's blood, and they were complety incapable of living without power for a few days. Honestly, one guy told me it was such an inconvience to have to turn on a flash light he was just going to check into a hotel. And, don't you dare say life is OK and it's not the end of the world because then you are a community outcast. (maybe that was from parking the truck in the front yard)

As for us, the mornings were a little cold if you didn't keep a log on the fire, but you wear extra clothes, huddle up by the fire, and cook on the grill or camp stove. It was like camping out. We warmed water in the fire to make tea, we had flashlights and battery powered radios, a propane catayltic heater. We put the food in (I know, unbelievable, a cooler) and somehow we managed to survive the unbelievable catastrophic even of not having power for five days. We could could have gone to my parents but we were having too much fun with no power.

And, I am not defending Pepco, cause it did take five days for the power to get running again, I am just tired of hearing people whine. If this was 100 years ago, they all would have been eaten by something by now. . .like a house cat.

·
Registered
961 Posts
It's special that you did fine, but many folks have kids, frozen pipes, etc. to worry about. Many more need the internet to do work, pay bills, etc. Most people don't have catalytic heaters and some like me don't have fireplaces. Generators are very expensive and not something the average homeowner is willing to mess with. Now, it's not the end of the world to lose power for a few days, but it is a major inconvenience.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Lol! New series, the Real Housewives of Bethesda!

We used to lose power all the time and for long periods of time. I think the record was 8 days with Isabel. Remember the big ice storm years ago, that was 7 days. However, the power company got so tired of traipsing through the woods along the Bay front that they buried the power cables, the cable and the phone lines free of cost. Haven't had an outage since.

We heat exclusively with wood and have a propane stove. When the power went out we would put a huge pot of stew on the wood stove. All the neighborhood kids would show up and hang their wet clothes on the railing around the wood stove, eat stew and make popcorn. Good times were had by all.

One hint for the good of the cause, get some of those paraffin oil "candles." Burn cleanly, last overnight, give good light. We put ours in a big bowl in a safe place and had no worries. Might not be good for a house with a cat.......

Time to enjoy the family. Life is good!

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, it is an inconvience but really people? Make the best of it and keep a positive attitude. Do what you can and have fun in the face of adversity. Getting mad about it and constantly complaining does jack squat.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I couldn't agree with you more. People are so spoiled it's not even funny anymore. When Mother Nature strikes they expect everything put back to normal (by others not themselves) within hours. Kerosene heaters are $100 and a generator that will run most of the stuff in the house (not the furnace) is on sale at Costco for $499 right now. This is well within the budgets of most people considering they probably spend that much on fast food in a month. You need to be prepared for life and this is part of life. It's not like this is something new or the first time it's happened. You wouldn't go out in the boat without a VHF or lifepreserver would you? Good post Francis.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
We've been trained to place blame. Lead story on the local news last week, "Who's to blame for the traffic jam on the JFX?" Bad stuff happens. Sometimes bad stuff happens to good folks. It ain't right or wrong, it just is. But folks don't believe that anymore. I expect anyone who *****es to have a workable solution at hand, or a plan, that if implemented in advance, would have avoided the entire problem. I'm still waiting for someone to explain how to keep wet, wind driven snow from sticking to evergreen trees and causing them to fall onto wires. Wanna bury the wires? Pony up the cost on your next bill. Don't want to be stuck for hours? Leave early or stay at work. Exercise a bit of free will and responsibility. 30 years ago most of the folks who were stuck last week would have had snow tires and been a lot better off. Now everyone has these 8" wide low profile radials, great on the skid pad, not so great on snow. But the law says radials are snow tires, don't ask me for the logic. Let those who would allow themselves to suffer, suffer. Let those who would be pro-active reap the benefits, and share them with those who have legitimate need.
Pat in Joppa

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Right on target, Francis. The whining and complaining seems to get worse every storm. The media hype and the politicians only stir the pot more in their effort for ratings. WTOP radio blasts the airwaves promising to "stay on the power companies until every last listener's power is restored". I wasn't aware that radio stations now had oversight authority over the utility companies. MD Governor "O'Money" rants about poor service to any reporter willing to give him air time and wants to fine the utilities for bad performance - but he can't define what performance is acceptable.

Sure, not having electric power is an inconvenience. It's a service we've all become accustomed to and take for granted. I grew up in the country and we had frequent (and sometimes prolonged) power outages during summer and winter storms. It wasn't that long ago that the world was not addicted to the internet, cable TV, and cell phones - if you can't update your Facebook status, or watch Oprah for several days, I think you will survive. I understand that some people are dependent on electrical power to run needed medical equipment and such. Anyone who requires electric power to this extent need to make their own arrangements for backup power. It's not PEPCO's, or BG&E's, or the government's responsibility. It's personal responsibility.

I've never worked for a utility company (and I would not want their job either). Those guys are out doing dangerous work in some of the worst weather conditions. Think about all the guys working 16+ hour shifts (many from out of state) - up in a bucket truck in 20* weather, or working in the slush and ice to clear downed trees - who could get zapped by a high voltage line if not careful. I don't hear many whiners volunteering to go outside and help these guys out. It's much easier to sit inside and complain about having to turn on a flashlight.

If our electric power was constantly going out for non-weather related reasons, I'd be complaining about the quality of their service, too. But that's not the case. I don't have a good solution to weather related power outages. You can't cut all the trees down - you can't (economically) put all the lines underground. So until we develop "wireless" electric power.....bad storms will continue to separate the whiners from the survivors

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
We live in an area with lots of big ( older ) trees and overhead electric lines. Needless to say - lose power a lot of times during bad storms.

I kinda enjoy it. The house cools down but only to about 58* - not too hateful.
Fun staying under warm covers in bed.
I look on the bright side - BGE bill will be a little lower the next month.

There is money to be made - some one needs to open a " power outage survival school ".
Common sense stuff like filling up some buckets with water . Some folks do not know you can fill the upper tank by hand to flush a toilet.

Same with filling a cooler with ice - just in case. Stock up the liquor cabinet - life is OK.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
Yesterday my sisters in Annapolis were freaking because I am working on the Western Shore a few days and Mom is in a cottage on the Eastern Shore and "could" lose power. She has propane heat that works without power, I gave her a good LED lantern, she has water, toilets, food, etc. More than that, Mom is 83, healthy as anything, grew up in rural Arkansas during the Depression and without a father. She called me last night to let me know they were panicking over the weather report. I love my sisters but if the local Starbucks closed because of an outage or the heated seats in the Lexus went on the fritz, they would be in therapy.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
5,686 Posts
Eminent Brothers,
A portion of lovely Cape St Claire is served by underground wires and part is served by overhead wires. We're on the underground service but it didn't matter because we lost power for a day. We're on well water so losing power means no flushing water......and I'll let you guess at the rest. I was content reading my BPS Catalog by flashlight and listening to the old battery powered radio. But if we get freezing rain tonight and it gets windy again, I have a headband light and one of the new hardcover Cabelas catalogs to keep me occupied. Oh BTW....BGE SUX

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Don't you just hate it when the Merlot isn't at the perfect temperature....we need a fourth for squash at the country club........
Yeah. We lucked into a very nice house for the time being at a great rate. My friends parents are in Argentina on buisness for at least two years and we are living in the house while they are away. It's working out for us very well, but the area is "taxing" to say the least. I am trying to save some money right now so when we move out in a few years I will be in a posiiton to buy an old little house on a couple acres in maybe Upper Marlboro/Bayden/Brandywine/southern Bowie, etc. Get me OUT of MoCo!

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
It's special that you did fine, but many folks have kids, frozen pipes, etc. to worry about. Many more need the internet to do work, pay bills, etc. Most people don't have catalytic heaters and some like me don't have fireplaces. Generators are very expensive and not something the average homeowner is willing to mess with. Now, it's not the end of the world to lose power for a few days, but it is a major inconvenience.
Actually you have it wrong, it's a minor inconvenience, it's just peoples attitudes that makes it major. Since I grew up in a rural area in the 50's, living without electric was not uncommon. It's really not that hard to get by, you just need to apply yourself a liitle more, which I guess is the real problem.

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
Francis I got out of Montgomery county and kept driving south. I found out it doesn't snow in Floriduh, no ice storms either. True we do get hurricanes but so far in 5 years no problems. You may not like it here the sun can give you skin cancer and there are no Rockfish. We do have a few other fish that can test your LTJ tackle so you could eventually adapt to the clean water and the chance to fish all year every month. Today it never made 80 degrees hit 79, my buddy at the tackle store said over two hundred Sailfish were released by small boats and the 20 to 30lb Kingfish are driving everyone crazy eating the Sailfish baits. Big Cobia are everywhere and the intercoastal is full of fat Redfish. And if all this fishing bores you there are gazillions of golf courses.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
We lose power at least 12 times a year, especially during a storm. This time we were out for just under 48 hours. We have a 5000 watt portable generator which will run for 12 hours or so on 5 gals of gas. I keep it full and another 7 1/2 gals in containers in the shed. The generator runs the fridge , lights, radio etc. When we are stranded in heavy snow like we were for this storm, I don't run the generator constantly to save on fuel. We also have a woodstove and a gas grill with an extra propane tank. We keep keroosene lamps going as well as candles if needed. I also have an old kerosene heater. We were plowed out Friday around 4 pm so we were stuck for almost 2 days. I was stuck for 5 days during last years storm. This year the timing was extra bad. I was scheduled to have my hand operated on Thursday morning at Mercy Hospital downtown. My original thought was to have it done when my fishing would be least affected. I got out of here Thursday morning but only with the help of my 4WD and a chainsaw. There were many trees down in my 1/2 mile long single lane drive. My wife Bonnie was impressed but I was about wore out. Still, we made it to the hospital only 30 minutes late and I had my surgery. Back at the house that night, we still had no power so I pull-started the generator, made a fire and cooked steaks on the grill. It wasn't too bad but the pain pills helped. Oh yea, I forgot, we were almost out of oil and the oil truck driver refused to come up the drive AFTER it was plowed. BTW, Francis, I understand what you mean about Monkey County as I worked in Rockville 15 years ago.

·
Registered
14,400 Posts
We lose power at least 12 times a year, especially during a storm. This time we were out for just under 48 hours. We have a 5000 watt portable generator which will run for 12 hours or so on 5 gals of gas. I keep it full and another 7 1/2 gals in containers in the shed. The generator runs the fridge , lights, radio etc. When we are stranded in heavy snow like we were for this storm, I don't run the generator constantly to save on fuel. We also have a woodstove and a gas grill with an extra propane tank. We keep keroosene lamps going as well as candles if needed. I also have an old kerosene heater. We were plowed out Friday around 4 pm so we were stuck for almost 2 days. I was stuck for 5 days during last years storm. This year the timing was extra bad. I was scheduled to have my hand operated on Thursday morning at Mercy Hospital downtown. My original thought was to have it done when my fishing would be least affected. I got out of here Thursday morning but only with the help of my 4WD and a chainsaw. There were many trees down in my 1/2 mile long single lane drive. My wife Bonnie was impressed but I was about wore out. Still, we made it to the hospital only 30 minutes late and I had my surgery. Back at the house that night, we still had no power so I pull-started the generator, made a fire and cooked steaks on the grill. It wasn't too bad but the pain pills helped. Oh yea, I forgot, we were almost out of oil and the oil truck driver refused to come up the drive AFTER it was plowed. BTW, Francis, I understand what you mean about Monkey County as I worked in Rockville 15 years ago.
It's called being prepared Tim. Good on you. There are 3 different kinds of people in this world. People who make things happen, people who wait for things to happen and people who say" what happened" Year after year the same people have the same problems and don't do anything to fit it. I have been using my snow blower to do my neighbors driveway for the past 5 years. He is much younger than me and has WAY more money. I'm done with that. People just want to lay back and let every one else solve their problems.......Gary

1 - 20 of 28 Posts