Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since this is the best place to get answers figured I would put this here instead of letting it get lost in some other area no one knows about
Last night my friend was sitting here at my cpu and all of a sudden there was a large flame that just popped out of the power strip twice, for the cpu. Scared her bad and she started calling me to come fix it LOL well it was just smoldering when I got in there but I noticed that the lights on that circuit flashed a couple of times. Unpluged everything and put it outside. The really scary part is what if no one was here and it did that might cause a house to burn up. Never had a problem with this strip in about 8 yrs
Not sure if there is a way to check them or not or do they need to be replaced every so often?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,994 Posts
So far,I have'nt had any problems like that.I'd be contacting the Manufactuer and checkin' to see if there were any re-calls. [Mike]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
236 Posts
My power strip has an overload protector that pops out if there is an overload.
I have been under the assumption that this made it safe . Did yours have a similar device and if so did it not work ? May have to rethink just how safe my power strips are !!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It doesn't say what manufacture it is anywhere on it and it is a surge protector and the plastic between the switch and the power on light is melted it is however made in china and is UL listed. never had a problem with it before and never noticed it getting over heated. It also has the reset button incase it gets overloaded but it didn't pop out at all. Seriously concidering the idea of putting switches in every room to turn off all the outlets when no one is home or using them.
I know that a few states are now requiring a new arc curcuit interupter I can only wonder if that would have made any differance
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,995 Posts
If you had a transformer plugged into it, it may not be the strip that malfunctioned.
Part of transforming voltage from 120v to 12v is heat. There is a cheap thermal protector that cuts power if it overheats. They malfunction... rarely... but will overheat to the point of bursting into flames and never overload the curcuit. I know from experience .... it wasn't pretty.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top