Tidal Fish Forum banner

Way OT-- Propane Prices?

2K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  LarryC 
#1 ·
Must be winter.....I just had my propane tanks (propane heat) topped off to the tune of 3.66 a gal. Thought that was kind of pricey, seeing the price of gasoline at 1.60 a gal. Anyone else using propane to heat their house? Dose this sound like I'm paying too much?

#2 ·
I have a cabin I heat with Propane. I use about 600-700 gal per year on average. I also have a 1000 gal tank so I just wait till the price drops in the late spring or earyl summer. Right now my provider is $2.89 with a delivery charge of $25. Tera Alta WV.

Ted

#5 ·
I will be getting filled in a few days... I will let you know. I am on a budget plan (propane co owns my underground tank) & they charge 10-15 cents per gallon more for the tank "rental". Other than that, their prices are right inline with everyone else. I was paying $110 per month just over a year ago, now its $310, my home uses about 1100 gal per year. My payment will be re-adjusted down after that run up in prices, but I don't know by how much. Somethings gotta give...

#9 ·
I own my own 500 gal tank for heat and just paid $2.14 a gallon from Amerigas in northern Baltimore County. Prices really are all over the board though. Word of advice... if you rent the tank, call around and see what other companies are offering. There's a scam that certain companies run where they constantly jack up your prices the longer you're with them, figuring you have their tank there and you'll be too lazy to tear it out. My girlfriend's parents use propane and were getting their gas and renting their tank from Suburban. They had been paying $4.59 a gallon! I told them to call Amerigas... $2.39 a gallon including the tank rental.

#10 ·
I'm getting shafted on tank rental and high prices, but I'm a low volume user.

I just have a "decorative" propane fireplace - inefficient, but does provide some heat. I pay $100 a year to rent the tank (100 gallon tank), and I don't know what the per-gallon charge is because I haven't filled it in two years and it's still showing 60% full.

Best thing I ever did was to figure out that the pilot light was using 2 gallons a week. The first two years I was in the house, I used 100 gallons a season. Now, it's looking like I might make it through a third winter on the same tank. I have to start the pilot light every time I use it instead of just hitting the button on the remote, but that's no big deal.

I think I need to empty this tank, tell them to come and get it, buy a 40 gallon tank, and shop the fill prices.

#13 ·
Amerigas by me has always been the cheapest. Not sure if there's one down by you. They're good people to deal with too. If you're in the Baltimore County area, give a guy named Jim Palm a call and tell him Chris Bowers sent you. The number is 410-692-0495. Everyone I've ever talked to with Suburban said they ended up getting shafted. There's a company called Ferrell Gas that promises to meet or beat anyone's propane price if you own the tank. I looked at them when I made the switch to propane but they didn't deliver in my area. They were a little bit less than Amerigas if I remember correctly. In my opinion it's worth it to buy the tank.

#17 ·
Will you come up to Montgomery County ??? I just got 100 gallons for my store, driver " didn't know the price" I guess I'll get it ina few days.

I do remember getting a long, legal mumbo jumbo letter back in September about new rates, tank rentals, etc....

#18 ·
Call an ask. We have a dedicated Propane driver(company owner) so it's really up to how far he whants to deliver. I don't think that's too far. You can't ask for better service though then getting the owner to pump your tank. We are a small company with only 6 employees but specialize in the best service and prices in the industry. Most of our business is catering to the research insititutions and noone expects better service then those people.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.