Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Have bought, restored, rode, then sold 3 bikes in the last 18 months. Honda XR250, Honda XR400, Honda CR250. Currently, waiting on parts to put back together a Kawie Bayou 250 quad. I enjoy working on them and i'll ride them for a month or so after they are done, then sell them on craigslist and look for another project.

There's places (safe but not legal) around Baltimore to ride, if you know where to look.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Have bought, restored, rode, then sold 3 bikes in the last 18 months. Honda XR250, Honda XR400, Honda CR250. Currently, waiting on parts to put back together a Kawie Bayou 250 quad. I enjoy working on them and i'll ride them for a month or so after they are done, then sell them on craigslist and look for another project.

There's places (safe but not legal) around Baltimore to ride, if you know where to look.
You wouldn't be referring to the "pits" would you;-) That's where I grew up riding.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
I'm older now but raced motocross from 1969-76 at most of the East Coast tracks to include Budds Creek - quite often. Yamaha 250 and VIVA! Montessa 250.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I've had 5 4-wheelers. Latest is a Honda Rincon 700. We have about 30 miles of trails where me & my son and grandsons hunt. :thumbup:George

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
You wouldn't be referring to the "pits" would you;-) That's where I grew up riding.
Hmm - not sure about the "pits" but i know of some safe (from thugs) places to ride around northern and eastern baltimore county.

·
Registered
349 Posts
2007 yz 250. soon to be 2009 yz 250. i ride almost as much as i fish. i race vchss hare scrambles and a few in the vxcs. gonna try to make the gncc at snowshoe this year. used to do moto and would go to florida for bike week and ride all the tracks down there. but i got older and dumber. now i would much rather be zipping past trees at dangerous speeds then flying off a ramp at dangerous speeds. still got a motocross track in my back yard but don't ride it much anymore.:rockingman2:

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Jim Rockfish, we're dating ourselves. I raced from 74 into the early 80s. Penton 125, 360 Yammi and Suzuki RM 250 was the last bike. I'm still a Roger DeCoster fan! Also raced Cedar Ridge and down in Axton. Broke my back in 1976. Young and dumb, started racing again 11 months later against doctor's and parent's orders. Now, 30 years later with no problems in between, I had to have major back surgury last November! Still fond memories of those days. Not many things in life get your adrenalin (sp?) rushing like 30 bikes heading wide open into the first turn that is four bikes wide!

·
7,173 Posts
Jim Rockfish, we're dating ourselves. I raced from 74 into the early 80s. Penton 125, 360 Yammi and Suzuki RM 250 was the last bike. I'm still a Roger DeCoster fan! Also raced Cedar Ridge and down in Axton. Broke my back in 1976. Young and dumb, started racing again 11 months later against doctor's and parent's orders. Now, 30 years later with no problems in between, I had to have major back surgury last November! Still fond memories of those days. Not many things in life get your adrenalin (sp?) rushing like 30 bikes heading wide open into the first turn that is four bikes wide!
I loved those green Pentons! I remember a guy in his 60s that raced Penton 125s when I was in my early 20s on 250s. Did you race Chuck Lee's in Leonardtown, Southern MD? I was there pretty often. Rough track but I liked it. I had a serious crash on the last lap of a Budds Creek final, trying to pass the no. 1 guy on a Maico at the sharp turn, top of the hill. I gunned it too hard, laid it down and was hit in the back at high speed by the 3rd place Honda rider. Ended up in the hospital but he just missed my spine. I have a large knot from that one on my back. I had many fractures and a lot of bent handlebars but fortunately, I'm OK. My Montesa was incredibly fast - tuned by Heyser Cycle in Laurel who also tuned Mike Cleveland's bike, same exact set-up. Mike raced against DeCoster but was older.

http://www.superiorsleeve.com/Montessa3.gif my Montessa

http://www.mxbikes.com/vintage/pics/71-penton-125.jpg Penton 125 from that time

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Cool pics! I also had a CZ for a short time and my step brother had one of the early Husky's. I remeber the day the firts Honda Elsenor was launched. It was the first of the jap bikes to be competative. The beginning, or end of an era, however you want to look at it. Now it sounds like we are really geezing! Don't remember Chuck Lee's, but there were about a dozen tracks in District 7 we used to race. Broke my back at the old gravel pits off 95 in Laurel, MD when I had a throttle stick on my 360 Yamaha and went off a forty ft. cliff, ouch.

·
7,173 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
My old man used to race his bultaco all over the Baltimore area in the late 60s and early 70s. We have old reel films of him racing. He's been bikeless for 35 years. He always talks about getting another one.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts