Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We went out in ****: New State Leading Bluefish and 1st Ever Level 6 Master Angler

Report:
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
Tuesday
22 October 2008
<o:p></o:p>
My parents came into town from Florida for my birthday this week. This was bad timing for fishing, with not much of a break in the weather. We moved my birthday gathering from Tuesday to Monday evening, since Tuesday looked like the most fishable day of the week. Capt Skip Feller, captain of the Rudee Angler and supervisor of the Rudee Inlet Head boat fleet, kept hinting that he wanted to go fishing. Skip hadn't fished on a "small" boat in years, and was itching to go. So, when the forecast was still W 10-15, we planned to point the bow east in our 31-footer and go as far as we could. Tuesday morning, the wind was from the SW at 15 to 18, but was supposed to drop to W at 10 after 7am. That didn't happen. But, my parents were going fishing!

We left from the Fishing Center around 8am, and made our way to the Light Tower in 3 to 4 foot seas. The Backlash was there trolling for kings, and told us on the radio that he was going in early due to the weather. We looked around at the 3 to 4 footers, and decided to stay at the Light Tower and try to drop on a few wrecks. We put Skip to work, and he expertly maneuvered the boat over the wreck while we fished. After about an hour, the seas dropped to about 2 to 3 feet, and Robin gave Skip a break so he could fish. We hauled up several dozen nice keeper seabass to about 3 pounds.

At about noon, we noticed the seas had dropped to 1 to 2 feet, so we decided to see if we could make it to the Triangles, and we did. Again, the seas were 3 to 4 feet. My parents did great! Robin held the boat while we all fished again. We caught seabass to almost 5 pounds. After awhile, I noticed marks above the wreck that looked like bluefish. A few minutes later, Skip pulled up a CRUSHED seabass head. Ah-ha, they're here! Let's see how big they are. I broke out my jigs. A few minutes later, Skip was pulling up a seabass on the jig, and he shouted, "There he is!" A bluefish had taken his seabass and was hooked up. When it surfaced, I knew he was big enough! It was a stud! The next one hit the same way; he grabbed my seabass on the way up. It was another citation fish, although not as big as Skip's. The seas had calmed to 1 to 2 feet again, and we headed back in at about 4pm with a cooler full of seabass and bluefish. I have a tough crew! And Skip caught fish for a change instead of taking others to catch them!

Back at the dock, Skip's bluefish tipped the scale at a whopping 19lbs, 15oz which should be the new State Leading bluefish! Way to go Skip! I was also a happy camper, since I was able to obtain my goal for the year. My citation bluefish gave me my 150th Citation for the State of Virginia, giving me the 1st ever 6th Level Master Angler honors! I'm done!
Not bad for a crappy weather day of fishing!! :yes:

Parents taking a break
Water Sky Boat Outerwear White

Dad's Seabass
Water Sky Smile Mammal Fisherman

Skip's Seabass
Water Sky Vertebrate Fisherman Outdoor recreation

State Leading Bluefish and Citations
Water Sky Smile Vertebrate Fisherman

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Nice job Skip!! About time you got on some fish........for YOU!! Congrats to you and your crew Julie for braving the weather!!

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
GOOD GOOGA MOOGA JUBA ! Nice

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Looks like a DARN nice day of fishing!!! Congrats!!! :thumbup:

OT- What is the citation size for blues in VA?? :confused: We fished a school of rock and blues last year at CBBT and hooked up with a mess of blues @ 16-19 #'ers (boga-scale). Took 'em home and ate them...maybe shoulda stopped by Chris' B&T to get checked in....

Andy
GW 222

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
Looks like a DARN nice day of fishing!!! Congrats!!! :thumbup:

OT- What is the citation size for blues in VA?? :confused: We fished a school of rock and blues last year at CBBT and hooked up with a mess of blues @ 16-19 #'ers (boga-scale). Took 'em home and ate them...maybe shoulda stopped by Chris' B&T to get checked in....

Andy
GW 222
Great Job Julie and Crew !:clapping2:

Here ya go Andy.
http://www.mrc.state.va.us/vswft/2008/vswft_brochure_2008.pdf

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Julie :0)

:clapping2:Congrats to you and the crew on a job very well done:yes: Beth
P.S. Happy Birthday.. Now that is a birthday gift!!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Pretty cool to see Skip catching fish. I haven't seen him in 25+ years. Went to Bayside with his sister. Pictures on the internet keep you in touch with all kinds of people.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Awesome job! You sounded stoked when you called! Time to head to NC now and get busy! That was some mighty fine birthday food also!

Way to go Skip, you may not get to hold a rod very often so ya might as well make the best of it while you can huh?

Capt_Ben
Above Average Sportfishing

1 - 20 of 37 Posts