Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We went out in ****: New State Leading Bluefish and 1st Ever Level 6 Master Angler

Report:
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
Tuesday
22 October 2008
<o:p></o:p>
My parents came into town from Florida for my birthday this week. This was bad timing for fishing, with not much of a break in the weather. We moved my birthday gathering from Tuesday to Monday evening, since it looked like the most fishable day of the week. Capt Skip Feller, captain of the Rudee Angler and supervisor of the Rudee Inlet Head boat fleet, kept hinting that he wanted to go fishing. Skip hadn't fished on a "small" boat in years, and was itching to go. So, when the forecast was still W 10-15, we planned to point the bow east in our 31-footer and go as far as we could. Tuesday morning, the wind was from the SW at 15 to 18, but was supposed to drop to W at 10 after 7am. That didn't happen. But, my parents were going fishing!

We left from the Fishing Center around 8am, and made our way to the Light Tower in 3 to 4 foot seas. The Backlash was there trolling for kings, and told us on the radio that he was going in early due to the weather. We looked around at the 3 to 4 footers, and decided to stay at the Light Tower and try to drop on a few wrecks. We put Skip to work, and he expertly maneuvered the boat over the wreck while we fished. After about an hour, the seas dropped to about 2 to 3 feet, and Robin gave Skip a break so he could fish. We hauled up several dozen nice keeper seabass to about 3 pounds.

At about noon, we noticed the seas had dropped to 1 to 2 feet, so we decided to see if we could make it to the Triangles, and we did. Again, the seas were 3 to 4 feet. My parents did great! Robin held the boat while we all fished again. We caught seabass to almost 5 pounds. After awhile, I noticed marks above the wreck that looked like bluefish. A few minutes later, Skip pulled up a CRUSHED seabass head. Ah-ha, they're here! Let's see how big they are. I broke out my jigs. A few minutes later, Skip was pulling up a seabass on the jig, and he shouted, "There he is!" A bluefish had taken his seabass and was hooked up. When it surfaced, I knew he was big enough! It was a stud! The next one hit the same way; he grabbed my seabass on the way up. It was another citation fish, although not as big as Skip's. The seas had calmed to 1 to 2 feet again, and we headed back in at about 4pm with a cooler full of seabass and bluefish. I have a tough crew! And Skip caught fish for a change instead of taking others to catch them!

Back at the dock, Skip's bluefish tipped the scale at a whopping 19lbs, 15oz which should be the new State Leading bluefish! Way to go Skip! I was also a happy camper, since I was able to obtain my goal for the year. My citation bluefish gave me my 150th Citation for the State of Virginia, giving me the 1st ever 6th Level Master Angler honors! I'm done!
Not bad for a crappy weather day of fishing!! :yes:

Parents taking a break
http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/attachments/virginia-angler/12272d1224730047-we-went-out-****-new-state-leading-bluefish-1st-ever-level-6-master-angler-011.jpg

Dad's Seabass
http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/attachments/virginia-angler/12273d1224730235-we-went-out-****-new-state-leading-bluefish-1st-ever-level-6-master-angler-016.jpg

Skip's Seabass
http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/attachments/virginia-angler/12274d1224730262-we-went-out-****-new-state-leading-bluefish-1st-ever-level-6-master-angler-0132.jpg

State Leading Bluefish and Citations
http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/attachments/virginia-angler/12275d1224730291-we-went-out-****-new-state-leading-bluefish-1st-ever-level-6-master-angler-0222.jpg

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Those are some serious Blues :thumbup: -- puts our small ones up this way to shame.

Congrats on the 6th Level Master.. and Happy Birthday, too!!:clapping2:

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
--Those Seas as Capt. Jim would say look DEAD CAM--as gerald said--Congrats and Happy B-Day Julie!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Nice fish, congratulations on the "Level 6 Master Angler" and Happy Birthday!!

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Congradulation on the level 6 master angler (are you going to get to design the award trophy for the level) and Happy Birthday too
You are the only person I know that can make 4 foot seas look like fun

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Congratulations! :thumbup: That's impressive! I still need 4 more this year for my first expert award. :D

·
Registered
474 Posts
I remember catching blues that size in the middle bay September 1977. Fought like Marlin. Jumped over the boat, he did. Came right at me and made me duck. That's a day you don't forget. Tasted like bloody poop though. Haven't had a day like that since. Maybe they're coming back.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Happy B-day Dr Julie, good that you had a chance to share it with your parents. Congrats on your amazing Master Angler achievement. They're going to have to make a new level for you:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
26,108 Posts
WOW - that is something else :clapping2::clapping2:.

Ever notice how guy's named Skip catch alot of fish :D:D.

Those are some real gorilla Blues - congrats :thumbup:.

·
1,295 Posts
Great Fish Dr. Julie. We used to catch them like that at the Bay Bridge back in the early to mid 80's and they were real tackle busters.

Happy birthday.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Congradulation on your new level and to share it with your parents on your birthday makes it all the sweeter( or is that more sweet?). Whatever, nice going and Happy Birthday.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts