Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The July issue of Prop Talk has an interesting article on sea trout. I know a lot of us have been disappointed in the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission over the years. I don't think this article will do anything to change your mind on them. Seems they just announced in May that the sea trout is depleted but not overfished. Seems one theory is that juvenile trout are being preyed on by rockfish, tuna and Cobia because of lack of enough forage fish (menhaden, etc). Yet I think that they have said that menhaden are not overfished and that the stocks are ok. Anyway they are making a stock assessment this year. I can't believe it took them this long to discover what we have known for years.that sea trout numbers are way, way down. Most of the commercial catch is in Va. and NC. They are allowed 100 lbs. a trip and 100 lbs. by catch a trip. I know that when I catch trout in NC and Va that are mostly less then 14 inches and don't weigh much. So a 100 lbs is a lot of fish per trip. I would think a moritorium would be in order. I'm pretty sure sea trout mature early and could reycover quite quickly if let alone.

One other thing. I'm having trouble believing that tuna are eating the trout.

Anyway Prop Talk is free and is a pretty good publication. It has some other good fishing articles.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts