Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Thanks to everyone who offered advice on my trip to Point Of Rocks this Saturday.

Unfortunately, either I was doing something wrong or the fish just werent biting. I fished upstream from the Rte. 15 bridge probably about 2-2.5 miles, waaaay past Catoctin Creek (VA) and never managed a strike. I tried all kinds of water, riffles, in front of and behind boulders, long runs, current up against banks, etc. with no luck. It seems like there is a lack of 6+ foot water in that stretch, so it may have been just the fact that I couldnt find a deep hole that screwed me over, im not sure. Tried a variety of lure including rapala minnowraps, rapala shadraps, mepps and roostertail spinners, kastmasters, bass assassins and curly tailed jigs.

Air temp was about 32, I kept having to clear my guides due to the ice buildup, but I wasnt cold even though I was in chest waders because I wore my ice fishing getup (wool pants, wool socks, many layers up top). All in all a very nice day to be out, and a good scouting trip for next fall!

Matt (VTFish)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Matt,
Sorry I didn't see your post. I've spent the last 14 years fishing that section of the river from my boat. If you get back this year, there are only two good deep sections of the river in that area. Southern end of Heaters Island on the MD side, below Point of Rocks and a section above Lander boat ramp, between a ledge called Sawbuck and the next ledge to the north called The Fence. Both of these are good spots this time of year but tough to get to wading. If you want smallmouth this time of year, wait for high water, walk the bank and the only lure you need to take is a 1/4 or 3/8oz hair jig with Uncle Josh 101 spin frog, All Green if you can find them. Just pitch into the eddy pockets along the bank. The fish will be tight to the banks in high cold water. Only catch biggins this time of year. I,ve caught nice fish till water temps hit 34-36 degrees.
Smallmouth are easy, now if I can just figure this bay thing out, maybe someone wants to trade Upper Potomac knowledge for bay knowledge.
Good Luck
John

1 - 3 of 3 Posts