Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 11 y.o. and I went out with Capt's Nick and Lizzie (Lizzie is official now) on the Get Sum Wednesday morning, 0800 charter. I made the reservation in February. Plan was to drift for flounder and then pull pots for crabs. Son catches first fish, 15 3/4 at 0803, nice start. For over 3 hours Capt Nick consistently put us on fish. Son caught 6 before I got my first, standing almost right next to each other!! We're pretty competitive and he was getting quite a kick out beating me. Ended up with 16 fish boated and 4 keepers (my son caught 3), 16, 16 1/4, 17, 18, all on white gulp. Caught 10 winks on the motor box running for crabs and then we helped Nick and Liz put 3/4 bushel of nice sized male crabs in the basket. Nothing huge but nothing small either, and all dark bellies. Ran back to the marina and had our pic taken by the Coastal Fisherman guy. Nick filleted the catch and we were on our way back to Montego Bay where I cooked an awesome lunch of fresh flounder and steamed crabs!! We picked up a Coastal Fisherman on the way out and my son's schoolmate was in it which was a nice coincidence. Capt's Nick and Liz are first rate and if you're looking for a hands-on custom OC bay charter for family and kids the Get Sum can't be beat.

Now Friday was the end of a "week with Dad" and my boy was being a little lazy and I asked him what he was in to for the day and to my surprise he said he wanted to go fishing! I used to take him out all the time, probably too much, and catching was never a challenge for him and I think he either got burned out or bored with it so he hadn't been fishing much on my boat. I was stoked that the OC trip may have rekindled his interest. We headed to a place I know that always has peelers and picked 1 up and then headed to my local place for 6 jumbo bw's. We headed out of Bear Creek and anchored on the lump I fish in the Ptap and though it was a bit sporty with all the boats running to the harbor we had a blast. In 2 hours fishing time we caught 55 perch to 9 inches, 4 Rock to 12 inches and 5 catfish to roughly 18 inches. He caught 2 perch on a bare hook (he used to do that all the time) and remarked "Too easy". No spot or croaker to be had. BW and peeler did equally well.

All in all a great trip to OC followed by a great day to wrap up our week together.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts