Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
kcussick and I went out and did pretty good, of course the blues were out there, and also the nice flatties! ended up getting 4 nice fish of the flat kind on grubs and brind bluefish strips... there was also alot of throw backs.... to sum it all up, it was a pretty consistent bite til the current stopped... I think it would been alot better if the fishing pressure wasnt so high today because it was a pretty flat day on the bay! where was all the yakers at!?![tongue]
Ray

·
Registered
32 Posts
Don't know about the rest but I've been doing the before work wader thing @ the Lesner. Sounds like we're catching the same, this morning it was Schoolies & Blues for strip baits. Any size to the Flatties ?? Hope to join you out there soon.

·
Registered
255 Posts
5.11.05 16:30

Went out to Rudee Inlet and caught two puppy drum, and lost one trolling past the big boats. After I set in at the boat ramp I ran into Chad and talked with him a while then rounded the corner to head to the mouth and hooked up a 24 inch Cobia. He took a DOA jerk bait.

·
Registered
575 Posts
????????????????????????????A COBIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like you had a good day.

How does a 24" cobia pull?

How big were the puppy drum?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
COBIA!?! hmmm.. it's about time they started showing up... almost that time to get the bigger gear out, gaff, billy club,etc.[grin]

·
Registered
255 Posts
The Cobia pulled pretty damn good. Pulled down deeper and a little longer than a Red. Reds get tired like me when it runs real hard. This Cobia pulled a lot longer and continued to fight even beside the yak. The Puppy Drum and the Cobia were all too small to keep.
This afternoon I'm taken the camera too.
17th Street said they had reports from boaters that saw two cobia in the inlet but no action.

The Puppy Drum were between 14 and 17 inches.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Those reds pull good too. Last year I got a 18", 29", 30", and shared a 36" with my little brother. What made it interesting was that I got all but the smallest one on an ultralite rod. I had to 'share' the 36" with my brother because we had to run the fish down with my boat to keep from getting spooled.

I haven't caught a cobia yet. If I can get one on light tackle, great, but the sitting around all day with chum out thing isn't for me.

Oh, just so I don't hear any ****, I DID NOT catch any of the reds from my yak.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'm using 7 ft medium action Penn Powergraph rods with 8 lb test on Shimano Stradic 2500 and 4000 reels. The action is perfect for tossing light tackle and gives a great fight to even the small reds. I have done a lot of fishing in the tidal waters around Mayport, FL and have been doing a little around Virginia Beach. I'm looking forward to the weather cooperating to get more opportunities to fish around Virginia Beach.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts