Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Launched at 8 am with TFer Sportfisherman 25 ( Gary ) and his friend Mitch. Good crew - had rods up in holders while I parked truck.

We headed out to find Spot - bite was slow but steady. Did not count but had about 15 or so - figured be enough for our 3 Rock limit. Gary caught a small Flounder - cool to see them around.

While we fished - I used binoculars to watch other boats at bridge , taking note what pilings were being fished.

I get asked often - which is favorite piling ? I reply - the one holding fish , lol. I do like to fish pilings not worked over though.

We idled to bridge getting live line rods ready. Since Spot were small - got rods with 5/0 circles and big split shot ready. Got anchored but did not like position so moved a little. Guys let me have first cast - current moving just right out going.

Spot swam down and felt tap - 3 second and let fish pull line tight. Quick fight and 20 incher on ice.

Gary and Mitch took turns - missing a few due to slight hook set. With circles - does not take much to cause hook to miss. I find just letting fish pull tight works well.

Gary got a 24 +/- but it was thin and lip hooked so put it back. Mitch got a little 16 incher - lip hooked as well.

Bait supply was getting low so I cast far to shore and was able to get a few more Spot. Gary got a keeper and Mitch followed shortly with another one.

With limit on ice - moved to look for Perch as current was slowing. Got a few - couple went in cooler. I tried a small jigging spoon - got a 10 inch Flounder. It coughed up a minnow - very similar to the cut Spot strips we were using for Perch.

May be an image of food

It was sunny and getting warm so moved to anchor in shade of bridge. We had to all fish from port side to get near piling but had decent bites with Perch. Few more went in cooler , most back to get bigger. Got a few Spot that were perfect ( IMHO ) size for live ling - go figure.

Current went slack but very quickly turned in coming. We fished a few other areas - then headed in. VHF had some high winds predicted for next few days.

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
995 Posts
How deep were you fishing when you caught the flounder?

·
Premium Member
26,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Uncle Rob - Been getting the small 6 to 10 inch Flounder from 10 to 16 feet. They seem to be wide spread.
I'm getting them near bay bridge but friends seeing them off Thomas Point , Podickery , eastern bay , choptank , few even near Key bridge.

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
995 Posts
We caught about 10 but they were little. Might try out in deeper water and see if there are any larger ones there, thanks.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Looks like your flounder ate a Bay Anchovy. I always thought of anchovies as being more in the mid-depths and surface rather than on the bottom.

Reactions: UncleRob

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
995 Posts
Looks like your flounder ate a Bay Anchovy. I always thought of anchovies as being more in the mid-depths and surface rather than on the bottom.
If there's a harder bait to keep on a hook than an anchovy I haven't found it yet. I catch anchovies in the cast net this time of year and usually return them to the water ASAP.

Reactions: goose70

·
Premium Member
26,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Goose 70 - I catch Rock and Perch in winter down 50-70 feet. They often cough up the anchovies - in fact the best lures are ones about that size.

I can see them on meter - right on bottom.

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
995 Posts
Anchovies, menhaden and Silver minnow are planktivores the Menhaden and Silver minnows occupy the upper levels, the anchovies occupy the lower levels.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts