Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering when a surf fishing section would be added? Thanks for setting it up. I do surf fish from time to time and would do it more often if I knew when and where...........This new section will no doubt add some good reports, locations and techniques. Thanks!

·
Registered
886 Posts
I was wondering the same thing so I bmailed Brandon the other day and within an hour he replied that it was done, amazing, thanks Brandon.

I spend a few weekends every year on the beach at Assateague and a week or so of vacation on the beach in the outer banks every summer so I do a little surf fishing. I'm mostly killing time fishing while I'm there with the family, my wife thinks I'm killing time with the family while I'm there fishing, whatever. To be honest I haven't caught much from the beach, a few spot here, a croaker there, whiting everywhere etc, a couple blues, my best surf caught fish of 05 was a 20" flunder, I caught it on a chunk of bluefish, not much I know but I'm still learning the ropes.

My wife's bugging me to buy a 4WD truck with a camper so we can stay overnight on Assateague beach next summer, if I go for it I'll probably be out there more often than I have been in previous years. It seems like a big investment to spend 4 or 5 weekends on the beach every year. I'm curious if any of you have one and if so how many times each year do you really get to use it. Are there any other beaches other than Assateage Island on the east coast that allow them overnight?

We'll have to see who'll post the first ever fishing report on this board, doubt it will be me. I'm sure there's fish out there now but I won't be making another trip until our "annual" mothers day weekend trip.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like we are in the same boat....................I have never done real well from the surf either, but I have never really been aggressive on it either. I mostly surf fish when I want to spend a day in OBX just hanging out. It's fun to do and you never know what you might catch. I may try a little more targeted approach for Cobia, Reds & Striper in the future and maybe on fly-tackle as well? They are there if you put your time in when the time is right. Hard part is making time- when the time is right.

I do have a 4x4 but it's a pick-up truck (no camper). It makes all the difference to be able to fish away from the crowds and plus you don't have to haul your gear anywhere. Pretty nice..........

Tight lines.............

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have just moved down to DC Area from the infamous surf fishing shores of Massachusetts. I have only been down here a month, so I havent been able to explore much, but have asked about surf fishing for Stripers and havent heard much. [sad] I strickly use lures, but if need be will adapt. I am looking to find some new fishing friends that are familiar with the area. I also have left behind custom building fishing rods and wooden lures, but look to maybe continue down here if lures are productive down here whether from surf or boat. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
136 Posts
stripersniper,welcome..you are talking assateague or outer banks in this area.some fishing on barrier islands in va but you need a boat to get there.some guy's surf fish va beach but many more head for carolina. about 6 hours or so will put you in rodanthe,avon, buxton. oregon inlet will host big rockfish thru the winter as will cbbt. best of luck.
Wes

PS: you are in the south now we are baitfishing as a rule.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Stripersniper......from one mass%!#! to another..hello. I, as you, are new to the area (family from Norfolk and I actually only visit the area, still live in MA) but have found the Outer Banks to be a gret place to fish. I have spent time at the Oregon Inlet in summer and have had some pretty good days. Am heading down next weekend to wade away in the Inlet again and hope to catch lots of stripers and blues. I read a report recently that last winter (January 2005) was real active. Check out these articles...

http://www.finefishing.com/1saltfish/stripedbass/outerbanks.htm

http://www.chesapeake-angler.com/storyjan05-grabbag.htm

I will pass along any information regarding bait vs lures; I am a lure user myself and have never had much luck with bait (probably because I don't know what I'm doing with it!). Ever try Parsons Beach in Kennebunk, Maine?

All the best!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks hardhead and Chrish. I really appreciate any advice or suggestions... I actually talked with an old timer and got a decent bit of info today, but I look to absorb as much as possible.
As for Parsons.... Yes I fished it a bunch of times... there and little river as well as long sands.... there was amazing fishing up there this year. I actually moved from Plum Island... so if you ever been and went to the tackel shop on the island.. you may have run across me. My buddy lives in Maine so his local spot is parsons.... Hint: if you fish it much.... you may want to use one of my needles.

I am new to this site, so im not sure if there is private messaging or email access but drop me a line if you want to talk more

·
Registered
886 Posts
I moved down here from the Boston area 6 years ago so I can relate. I don't want to bum you out but it's nowhere near as good down here and you must travel 3x as far. But, now that you're here you better make the best of it. The best shore fishing spot I've found so far is the rt 50 bridge crossing to Ocean City but I most of my shore fishing is done from the 4WD access on Assateague. From there I mostly a bait unless I can see breaking fish which is rare. Mostly I throw a couple hi/lo tandum bait rigs out, the top hook is small with a Fishbites bloodworm and the bottom hook is a larger circle with a chunk of whatever I catch on the Fishbites. When I get a small fish on the Fishbites I bring it in real slow, the struggle of the (usually a spot or whiting) sometimes attracts something decent to the chunk. Early in the spring there's a good run of spawned out bass migrating up the beach, they mostly fall for a chunk of pogie.

·
Registered
47 Posts
May I suggest Indian River Inlet. My friends went last weekend and caught about 20 shorts at 21-25" on white bucktails with white worms.
Said fish were very slow due to the cold water. If they felt a bump would imediatly set the hook.
Sorry to say it may be to late with the cold weather this year, but try the spring run next year.[wink]

·
Registered
45 Posts
I second Indian River Inlet or any of the state beaches. I can usually catch them until early January if I can stand the cold. Bait, flies, and plugs all work. However I haven't been able to catch them on wood (Gibbs Swimmer)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Since I am not from the area I will have to ask where Indian River Inlet is; would you mind pointing me in the right direction? Also, anybody having any luck fishing the surf along Pea Island?

I am coming down with a buddy for the weekend and am hoping to make the most of two or three days fishing.

I appreciate all the suggestions I can get.

Thanks!

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you have a map of Delaware, take Rt.1 south from Dewey Beach heading towards Fenwick Island. You can fish from either side of the bridge along the rip rap. Alot of people stay to the north side from Coast Guard station to the end of the jetty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi
My name is Marty. I live on Long Island 20 miles west of montauk.I love to surf. fish {lures only} My wife and i will be moving to Lewes delawere. I wanted to talk to someone about surf. fishing. I like to fish only at night and fish back bays, using beachmaster metal lip swimmers, darters, and so on. Can someone repley or you can call my cell 845-596-6662. I have alot of ? and need to hear what you have to say. It maybe to much to wright down. I allso just bought a 24 parker, didnot use it much this summer because i love to surf. fish. Thank You - marty

·
Registered
47 Posts
Marty, Bill's tackle shop in Lewes has a nice web-site that has links to chat rooms in that area. From what I saw those guys could possiably give you more specific info.
Just remember, it's hard to pry good spots out of people![wink]

·
Registered
136 Posts
Chris H,the pea island surf is fabulous if you find the right hole....like any other rt#12 stretch the main things to look for are birds&beach makeup. find a(reading the beach)article somewhere and take a look.The best thing about pea isle is lack of fishing pressure , its a walkover situation, and many won't\can't.stop by hatteras jacks'and ask, they are in Rodanthe will give advice & usually have fresh bait.the wind can make or break surf fishing but in hatteras you have the surf & the sound sides to fish... you usually want the wind in your face.. the more you fish this area the better it gets. Wes

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, as we were leaving Norfolk this morning we lost the timing belt in the car; needless to say we never made it to OBX. [sad][sad][sad][sad][sad][sad] Heading back up north tomorrow morning and obviously missed a great opportunity to enjoy the surf. Sorry to say I won't be able to make it back down until at least February (kids school vacation). I will continue to check the fishing reports to see if there is anything out there in the surf at that time. Hopefully you more informed folks won't mind me asking for some more advice on hot spots at that time.

Thanks

There is some real nice striper fishing available near me (about 1 1/2 hrs to Maine) in the summer and early fall months. If anyone decides to head up I would be glad to offer advice and even meet up (I'll probably be there anyway). I also know of some real nice places to stay close to some of the best spots. [grin]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.