Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in York and while I enjoy my 2052 Trophy on the bay I want something to use in the lakes and such around my house. So I was considering making my own version of a Carolina skiff. Figure it would be easy to transport and should be too hard for a first try.

Dave

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
Home built Carolina Skiff

Dave - Go for it. Do you have the plans? Jim

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No actually I haven't found skiff plans like a Carlina skiff. Most of the ones I've found look like a /\ type front end and I want the more flat bottom like the C Skiff. I was going to wing it. Coming up with designes for stuff off the top of my head is part of my job and this does not look like a complicated design. BUT if you know where I can find some C Skiff type plans I wouldn't mind getting hold of them.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Go to your local library and find some books by Philip Bolger. He has lots of simple designs that might fit your needs. They are pretty much plywood on frame boats.

Don't scoff at the boats with a pointy bow. For small lakes it is often good to have a boat that rows as well as it runs with a small kicker.

How big of a boat are you looking for. How many people? What capacity? How big of water?

Tom

·
Registered
22 Posts
Go to Saltfish & look for a post by Eight Knots. He lives near you & has a home built Dory. It looks like what you want. There is a pic in his sig. He's a pretty cool dude, but you will probably need the "Eight Knots to English" translation guide. Anyway, I'm sure he would be glad to show off his handiwork. He is currently involved in reclaiming some old barn lumber to build another boat. When you email him mention my name. BTW, his Dory is powered by an outboard, but it's in the middle of the boat.

·
Registered
861 Posts
You might want to try looking up plans for a "Chincoteaque Scow". Was a very popular home built over the years and was the forerunner of the Carolina Skiff type hulls.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The link posted by fishingrod looks like what I want. I'm not discounting a v hull (my Trophy is one) It just seems like the flat bottom would be a bit easier to start with.
Thanks guys.
Dave

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
3,293 Posts
Dave ....... Whatever you do please consider the weight ........ I believe most of the lakes in your area ...... (at least the ones with the best fishing) only allow electric engines. The only lake that I can think of that allows small gas engines is Codorus. This is why most of the people elect to use the aluminium boats because they are lighter and will carry enough batteries to power the electrics to get the range.

I used to fish with electric engines exclusively and there use to be 10 lakes that were electric engine only within a hour of Baltimore. There are probably even more from York.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Rick

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Having built both a pointy boat (Glouchester Gull), and a square front boat (A Garvey (sp) pram). The only added complexity is the one curved board at the bow of the boat. If you or a buddy has a half decent band saw you are set with that piece.

Oh and on the pram I had to steam two boards on each side to get them to fit. The lesson learned here is that nothing is square on a boat and lots of boards are curved or bent before you are done.

For small to medium sized (2-3 miles long) lakes pick a boat that rows nice.

Tom

·
Banned
1,466 Posts
Papa-your right a flat bottom boat will be easy to build if you just wing it. Go for it. I can say 100% without a doubt that every step of a boat of that simplicity can be explained on here. We got alot of good guys more then willing to help. GO FOR IT!!!

·
Registered
188 Posts
papa, I live in Red Lion, and would love to give you a hand, or whatever you may need. I have never built from scratch, but would love the opportunity to learn.

send me a p.m., maybe we can get together and share some knowledge.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Contrary to what Ray says I am of the opinion that you should spend $15 to $25 for a set of plans or by one of the many books out there that have plans in the books.

Most of Phil Bolger's boats are actually flat bottom boats they just have a garboard that is angled to a certain extent. In my opinion the more difficult boats or the ones that are curved in two directions at once. Like this one.

On the other hand one like this Dory is made of three flat panels of plywood for two for the sides and one for the bottom, along with a transom made of plywood and oak. It also has oak cant frames (straight board that goes from the top to the bottom of the side and oak gunnels, etc.

If you don't like messing with all that oak (my opinion the best part) you can go with fillet and tape construction and do something like this.

Boat plan details, Jon Boat 12 (GF12), Power Boats 16' or less

Tom

Tom

·
Banned
1,466 Posts
Tom, isn't he talking like a carolina skiff? It should be easy cause he needs to build basically a box with a slope in the front. It would be safe to buy plans I agree but that might persuade him to do something else and he ends up with something he doesn't want. Just my $0.02

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Ray,

This is the last boat that I referenced.

I have seen a (limited) number of boats that folks built from scratch with no real plans that were little more than boxes with a skeg and motor mount. Sure the motor would push it through the water. But the boat would not track, or glide and the wind would push it all around. If you had to row it it would be like rowing a toad. . . A well designed boat does all of these things well. To boot a well designed and made boat will last a lifetime with proper care. I have a dory like second picture above that is about 25 years old this is still rowing just fine. I have worked crab pots and gill nets in it in 3 foot seas.

Well made traditional boats that are built without plans are done by men who have apprenticed for tens of years before they did their first real boat using lines that come from years of tradition.

Even a Carolina Skiff has those mini runners along each edge. The bow is curved up, etc. There is more to boat design than just slapping 5 pieces of plywood together and sticking in some seats.

As compared to the cost of materials plans are a minor expense even if you get two or three sets prior to deciding on the one that you want to build.

Tom

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
PaPa

I live down the road from you in Glen Burnie and lived in York 15 years ago,

I too just about have my mind set on that same Garvey 18 that fishing Rod posted the link to.

If you build it let me know. I'll happily drive up to give a hand and see first hand complications. Actually I've known Mark (reskewed) for about 20 years and together in a day or two could probably knock out alot of cutting and initial hull assembly.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tom P - Thank you for your concern and advice. I am an engineer (no not nautical) and I'm used to developing designs for tools and such but also used to coming up the craziest **** off the top of my head to get a job done. That said since fishingrod posted the link to that boat I will likely be purchasing the plans to make life a little easier.

Chris and Mark - I'd love the chance to pick your brains. I'm recruiting another friend who like I have never built a boat to give me a hand. I usually host a fish rigging party or two a year and would like to extend an invite to you guys and anyone else that might like to attend.

I plan to make it at least 16', I'm 300+ lbs and would like to be able to take at least one other person with me plus need it stable enough to allow me to get in and out.

Dave

·
Registered
188 Posts
let us know where and when. I just bought a rehab property in deleware, but I will only be working on it during the week for about the next month and a half or so. weekends are usually pretty good:rolleyes: Keep us posted.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts