Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the weather turning nasty this weekend and the forecast of more extreme temperatures coming down from the North, it was time to say goodbye to the boat for the season, if you could call it that, and put her up for the winter. Hard times have befallen many of us and my own family has not been spared. I hope what follows can buoy up some spirits.

When I came to the Peninsula back in 1971, I found Poquoson to be a unique place that had an air of tranquility to it. It was not as populated as it has now become. It was "quaint" but the Peninsula itself wasn't really developed. There were fewer houses, restaurants and only one shopping mall which was ahead of its time since it was not enclosed. There were no traffic jams. There was lower crime. The general pace of life was slower. We all know how times have changed.

The low lying areas are one of the last to change and it may be their saving grace that the economy's bubble has burst. It may save them from the condo-ization that other areas succumbed to. The following photos were shot a week ago. I was lucky enough to have the day off. I needed a mental break and went to the place that could provide it. I was taking my wife to the bank when I spotted the clouds in the East which beckoned to me. After taking care of her affairs, I launched into my affair with the Lady of the Marshes.

You can't ignore clouds like this. It may be time for "change" in politics, but I like my change in weather. It is usually transient, fleeting moments in time, that are little gifts from Mother Nature, allowing us to see in a different light. Yes, there's a storm coming, but there is also "hope" on the horizon, held in a sliver of bright light outlining a copse of pines.

This is one of the most famous of all Poquoson boats. Photo enthusiasts on the Peninsula can't get enough of her. She is owned by Martin Graham. He should collect royalties or at the very least, get her an agent. No matter what lighting or weather conditions she finds herself, she always strikes the best pose.

While the other boats tend to their moorings, she's out there alone, swinging to and fro in the breezes or rising with the tides. Tethered to her anchor, she goes with the flow, while others huddle together for comfort.

She's not as big nor stands as proud as others. She still can hold her own in the weather though she is not the center of attention.

She has to look beyond the others and pray they shield her from the storm. Let the big boys take the brunt of it. There's safety in the shallows too.

Some will take the storm as it comes over the marsh grass dead on.

But like her big sisters, she can see that ray of light, that ray of hope. She'll survive to serve yet another season.

Well, there it is. Not a great day for fishing.....but not a day without merit.

I thank the watermen of Poquoson. Many boats come and go on the ramps, but these people stay the course.

I hope that you enjoyed this little photo essay. If I can't contribute with pictures of my lackluster fishing of late, I am thankful that you allow me to do this.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Really nice thread and some really great shots! I used to keep a boat at Dave Carpenter's marina in Poquoson. I drove my first boat - a 15 foot Wellcraft with a 125hp Mercury up on Crosby Forrest's lower pier when I hit forward instead of reverse on my first day out.

I took this shot in Poquoson and sold it in the first Hampton Bay Days in 1982 (I think)!

I loved Poquoson in the 70's and early 80's!

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Word of Wisdom

Tom,

You have a great way of reminding us of what is important in life! The humor, beauty, friendships, good times, etc...

Thanks for another note of clarity!

Tight Lines,
Kevin
Weekend Mistress
Coastal Conservation Association-Virginia

·
Registered
465 Posts
God sure is gracious to us, ain't He Doc?
No need to answer, your pictures tell it all.....

Thanks for sharing!
Have a great holiday season,

Joe

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Beautiful work as always Doc. Next trip over you might want to follow the road on around to the actual point. You may find some more photo ops over there. If nothing else you can catch Graceland playing the trailer queen that she has gotten so proficient at as of late. Hopefully we can get one good trip in on her once the fish move in good during the day.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Nice pixs.

My great grandfather Edwards had a place on the water in Poquoson.

I need to go back and drive down Edwards lane and take some photos myself.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Very nice pics. Thank you for sharing them with us.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Thanks Doc your post are always welcome on the board what a breath of fresh air! Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Darren,

The last fish that I caught were those citations aboard your boat on 1/7/07. Somehow catching those 6 citation fish in a row put a spell on me that I would have to wait a while before I was allowed to catch something of significance again.

It's been a long drought. This year I only got out 4 times and only two were fishing trips that I skunked out on.

Maybe we should tempt the gods again? My daughter has some goats and chickens, with her farm in foreclosure, I'm sure they won't be missed!;-)

As for the rest of you gentlemen, you are very kind with your words. I have been fortunate to be there with a camera when offerings were made by the muses. I only recorded them. I'm glad that I was able to do something useful with their gifts. I appreciate your allowing me to post them.

Lifeisgood, that's one helluva shot!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Nice!

Tom,
As usual your pictures are phenomenal and very nice to look at.:thumbup:

The Nautical one I purchased from Sharon a few years back has a place on the wall in my bedroom office.:yes:

Sorry to hear you are putting your:fishing2: ride up for the season as we haven't had the opportunity to get out with Paw Paw.

Oh well, if the good lord allows me to be around next season maybe we can do so.

Contact me for when you are able to get over this side for a get together at Jimmies.:))

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Chuck and Tom,

Sorry that we didn't have a chance to get out together on the boat. I hope that God keeps us all well enough to do it in the Spring. Life has been interesting lately and the weather less than cooperative. We'll laugh about it over a beer at Crab Creek before the winter's over. Holiday season is upon us and may it bring you good health, good luck and good cheer.

I do miss you guys.:((

This is for lifeisgood. All things must pass. Hope it brings back a memory or two. It's different now.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts