Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought the weekend was a wash out. Worked in the yard sat between rain drops. Woke up Sun. it was still raining. Decided not to put the Mako in.

About 10:00 sun came out so I decided to put my yak in near Kinsale. It was beautiful, sunny no wind lots of Herons, Eagles and ospery. I tossed out a spinner bait and let it slow trool behind me.. Wham! good pullage.. landed a 25" Striper, had to put him back but Fun icebreaker.
Cant wait to get back. The week end is always to short

·
Registered
259 Posts
Very nice. A 25" striper on light spinning tackle in a yak is about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on. Good stuff. Still chasing turkey here but hoping to get after my first stripers of the year soon.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I went out on the Rapp for a little bit late Sunday afternoon and had three 23" on 3 consecutive casts in about 4' of water. Two or three more casts and I had another one on. The first 3 were lip hooked with single hooks and I released them boat side while they were still in the water.The fourth one wasn't lip hooked like the others and I felt awful knowing I probably hurt that one so I quit.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I went out on the Rapp for a little bit late Sunday afternoon and had three 23" on 3 consecutive casts in about 4' of water. Two or three more casts and I had another one on. The first 3 were lip hooked with single hooks and I released them boat side while they were still in the water.The fourth one wasn't lip hooked like the others and I felt awful knowing I probably hurt that one so I quit.
Nice to hear and good on yah for listening to your conscience and stopping. That said it happens and you shouldn't feel guilty. You paid for your license and fished within the rules and enjoyed the resource. The fees and taxes you paid for the rod/reel/bait license etc... support the fishery and created the 23" inch fish for you to catch. The way I think about it is that without guys like us (hunters and fishermen) those fish wouldn't exist. If nobody wants to catch them the incentive to save them/manage them isn't there and the bay would be a giant cess pool (or more so than it is). A gut hooked fish here or there is a casualty of conservation. The greenie weenies and average non fishing joe's that don't financially contribute to the resource actually cause more damage by passively killing more fish than you and I ever will.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts