Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
why stay home when its a balmy 19 degrees and there are some big stripers out there?
we are doing the 1st annual FROSTBITE striper trip,myself,big liar and mako dave and a couple of other suckers are gonna go give it a try.......results to follow when we return later today!!!!!!!! p.s. hope im back in time for my session with the therapist.......

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
weather turned out to be nice,almost flat,found some fish,and had a real good time.i dont understand why people stop fishing just because its real cold? there are some nice fish out there...........

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com!
3,659 Posts
WTG Fun. :D

Thanks for the 'report'. Wonder where you went, what you caught, how you caught them???

Glad that you all had fun.:)

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
And here are the patients during the first therapy session.

Ice on the line.

Nice fish on a nice day. That's me in the back after shedding my coat with just a sweatshirt on.

This one ended up being a 40". I tell you, I still think all the worry and rule changes about spring trophy season is stupid. We catch more fish Nov. - Feb. from O.C. Oceanside like this than I do in the bay during any two trophy season. These fish are prespawn by two months and the ones I catch in the spring are prespawn by 12 months, but let's make sure we reduce the catch during the Trophy season.:rolleyes: Plus what we catch here is nothing compared to what is caught further south.

Here's Mike (funofitfarm) with a couple that will have to hold us over until April. Thanks goes out to all you guys that release all your fish over 36". I'm really glad you guys can sleep with a clear conscience - I'll sleep well with a full belly.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
We went thru this pic posting problems a couple weeks ago. Try Shutterfly.com

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Thanks goes out to all you guys that release all your fish over 36". I'm really glad you guys can sleep with a clear conscience - I'll sleep well with a full belly.
You know I had about a page typed out about how this report doesn't help anyone out, but I will condesnse it to the source of my anger which is the quote above. It just so happens to be the most ignorant comment I've heard yet this year. Congratulations you've earned it. As far as I'm concerned keeping fish is OK, I do it once in a blue moon myself, and I don't want to start a debate wheather or not it's right or wrong, but that comment. MMMMM just bothers me you know. A lot of guys feel real strongly about C&R here including myself and do our best to forward the preservation of the species but to rub it in our face with a comment like that. All in all it looks like there was some nice catching going on but some detail might be helpful next time. BTW I fished Sunday myself in the bay with about 6 other boats in the area and we all did just fine.

-Evans

·
Registered
245 Posts
I had a nice one typed up myself before I deleted it because I figured it would cause yet another dick waving contest. Then again, it is Feburary and we need something to do.

Bad form on the post, nice catching though. Careful not to post your location lest you be innundated with boats in Feburary.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
big was merely stating the fact that by releasing the 10, or however many you caught, over 36 inches does not make any difference in the overall health of the stock {take a trip down to rudee or points south of here}.and if it makes you feel good to think so than i for one am happy that you feel that way.might i add whats wrong with a little ribbing and tongue in cheek humor???????
as for me and my friends we eat what we catch and we catch what we eat.it sure beat paying 9.00 a pound for the same fish that was caught in a net,iced and sold to you 3-5 days later as fresh.
lighten up fellas if you cant take a little bit of ball bustin then you would never be able to make a trip with us cause thats how we pass the time.........
now if you all will excuse me i have to go drag some fresh fillets thru some corn flour to fry lightly in some hot oil to see if i can get my cholesterol up to an acceptable level. maybe if you would let go of that tree your huggin you could go catch some fish too.
report you ask? all caught on the troll as the captain didnt want to mess with jigging and it was too cold too anyway.all the fish were caught on a red and white tomic in tandem with a big mojo that went untouched all day long.some under and around birds, some just out in the middle of nowhere,water temps around 42-43.5 degrees\
DINNER TIME!!!!!!!!
funofitfarm

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
FOIF: Sorry about the harsh tone I was a bit aggrevated there but no big deal. After i thought about it for a minute I realized I may have been a bit hard on you. But to say one man's or a group of folks efforts, well how did you say it, "don't make a difference" is too much guy. Myself and most of the fellas I fish with catch many more then 10 cows a year and yes we have fished south of Rudee to NC and up to Nantucket and, yes, it's all the same. Cows stacked like chordwood on docks time and time again. But if you truly think that one man not keeping fish doesn't make a differnence then you are greatly mistaken. Again I didn't mean to jump on you guy. Appreciate the report afterwards.

-Evans

·
Registered
270 Posts
tone

Wow funofitfarm !!
Just because you aren't seeing the back slapping reports doesn't mean that there aren't some fella's with big doo dads out there fishing them all year. Of course , we prefer to keep quiet and to freeze our azzzes off in an open boat rolling along on the search at 40 knots and can't stand trolling or a heated cabin. As for it being too cold to jig, when we get on the fish jiggin, layers of clothing get peeled off within minutes. I enjoy the challenge of the search as the catchin part is about as easy as it gets. Ain't got time for no pictures, get him off and get another one. Boasting and bashing the C & R guys won't get you much but it is Feb. so it does make for some reading anyway.
If I was going to pay somebody to take me in the winter...it would be Perry. He is one of a kind and deserves the credit for your day. George

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Perry is a great guy. First class comfortable boat. Can't say enough about the man or the boat.

We normally fish in a 26' Mako CC oceanside so we are normally out in the elements. We also normally jig in the ocean. I'd much rather jig whenever possible. We also have had 100 plus fish days. We catch and release after the limit is in the box. We just decided that it would be more comfortable and we could get all 6 friend on a cushy ride on a cold day.

Big E,
I never bashed you. I thanked you. You may have released one of the fish we caught that day. If so, thanks again. I just think that if 1000 fish (1 per angler per day) are released every spring by people who refuse to keep big rock, it's still not significant. 1000 fish per spring season is a generous estimate for all the people who feel the way you do. You can't count more than one fish/day/person because of creel limit. However, if it makes you feel better releasing bigger fish, than I'm all for you feeling all warm and fuzzy inside. My apologies if I hurt your feelings.

I did bash changing of the rules for the spring season. There are far more fish caught Dec. thru Feb. oceanside than what are caught in the Spring season in Maryland in the bay. The fish are here for approximately the first 3 weeks of the season in numbers. I work full time so weather permitting, I'm lucking to get out 3 times a week. Thats nine trips on a great year. I would say that for the average working Joe, I get out more than most. Now from Late Nov. into Feb. we catch fish Oceanside. I'm allowed 2 per day/per person. We are still hampered by the weather but I will tell you that we catch many more big fish oceanside than we do in the bay in the spring. So you tell me how it makes sense to further restrict the guys and only those guys that only get 1/2 dozen trips with a chance to catch one big fish/person/day in the spring (most of which have spawned) when the number of fish caught in the spring is nothing compared to the total catch on the east coast. You show me the person trying to argue this point and I will show you person making a ignorate argument. So for all the people who like to catch big fish espicially on light tackle one after another, don't winterize your boat next year and come out and join us.

As far as further details on the trip. Mike gave you as much detail as I feel comfortable giving. If I was on my boat than I would give you the GPS numbers or you could follow me the next time I went out. Since I was a customer on a working Charter Boat, I don't think it would be fair for me to disclose locations where he may like to fish. I hope you can respect that.

·
Premium Member
26,133 Posts
Just wait until you catch one of the over 40'' ers that I've released.That isn't a fishery tag sticking out of her back-it's a time delayed fuse:eek: :D .Once out of the water and in a fish box-you only have 5 minutes of fishing time left.:p Sounds like you found the only fish biting anywhere north of Cape Charles .WTG !!! Skip

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
BL: I couldn't agree more in regards to the oceanside catch, that is where the regulations need to come. Nothing is more unsettling to me then seeing them guys down in Carolina reach over the gunnel to gaff a rock. The Chesapeake Bay's fisherman and charters are suffering due to the ignorance of groups like the ASMFC but that's an argument for a different thread and a different day. Also, I didn't get the idea that you were on a paying charter i agree with you on that as well method is OK location is not. My bad. Nuff Said. Nice catching.

-E

1 - 20 of 22 Posts