Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Were there more Larger Male Stripers in years past?

If Stripers are believed to live till age 31, with the heaviest weighing in at 125lbs.
and the Longest est. length to be 67 or so inches,(Current IGFA All Tackle record at 78lbs 53",,,I Think?) We've had measuring in at 56" the last couple of years..
almost all of these being Female? I assume?

I heard of a 49" male, which I'm told had a smaller Head, making for a reasonably Quick
Visual determination(without cutting open and looking for Roe sacks).
I can't remember ever catching a 48" plus striper that didn't have a Huge Head!

Did there use to be More Larger males?

Les

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm hearing the crickets on this one Les! Good ? though, I'm sure somebody will have an answer. Anyway, we were bs'n the other day at Princess Ann Dist. I ended up going with that Tica combo I was looking at. Knew the guides were **** but didn't think I would need to replace one already. Third cast I busted out the third eye down! I knew that was gonna be the first one to go. Oh well, I still love the rod though. I was planning on reguiding it anyway.

Ben

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
It's been several years since I was heavily involved in this stuff but if I remember correctly the science says males rarely reach over about 40".

·
Registered
526 Posts
Were there more Larger Male Stripers in years past?

If Stripers are believed to live till age 31, with the heaviest weighing in at 125lbs.
and the Longest est. length to be 67 or so inches,(Current IGFA All Tackle record at 78lbs 53",,,I Think?) We've had measuring in at 56" the last couple of years..
almost all of these being Female? I assume?

I heard of a 49" male, which I'm told had a smaller Head, making for a reasonably Quick
Visual determination(without cutting open and looking for Roe sacks).
I can't remember ever catching a 48" plus striper that didn't have a Huge Head!

Did there use to be More Larger males?

Les
okay from what i can tell if you catch any fish over 30 lbs 9 times out of ten its a female hence the name cow and not bull also the males growth is slower then the female, also it has been documented that in north carolina in 1891 there where several fish over 6 feet long and weighing more then 125 pounds. boy i would love to hook into one of those. hope this answers your question.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Males just don't get bigger than 40". This is recorded throughout literature. I'm not sure where you are getting your data from.

Good Fishin

·
Registered
231 Posts
I know a guy who nets commercially for striper and herring in the fresh water rivers of VA and he says he has caught many striper in the 70 and 80 pound range in the past 20 years of doing it, and he claims he caught one two years ago to be over 100!! Of course no pictures and its only his word, but how big could one be if someone called it 100?? what if it was 90? 80?. Who knows, I am only posting this to talk about it and i am not going to argue with any one about it either, just commenting, thats all.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Ben,
Sorry to hear about the Guide Eye, But you were going to put Shimano's on!

There's a large Striper (approx 47")on the wall at Ches Bait and tackle with a small Head and Mouth.
I mean real small Mouth, it kind a looks funny.

Les

1 - 8 of 8 Posts