Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
West Coast Halibut season is now underway. Check out this little beauty. It must have been on some rocky bottom based on those back patterns. Anyways, hope the flounder show up here soon... image.jpg image.jpg

·
Registered
290 Posts
I fished Alaska and Vancouver several years ago, amazing fishery out there between salmon and halibut. I remember the capt telling us not to let our baits hit the bottom because the pesky founder would get It, all I was thinking of was I would love to catch a flounder.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
If that was caught in California is would be a nice catch. The further North you go and into Alaska, they would be called chicks and returned. Fished Alaska - an incredible fishery but so hard on the arms. Try pulling a 50 lber out of 200' of water along with the massive weights.....such problems I can live with:)

Bet that size shown are probably the best eating .....

·
Registered
823 Posts
Hope to Halibut fish in Alaska in the next few years.
Amen to that, my hope is that there are still a few left when I get up there. Fishing in Alaska is still one of the best trips for many reasons, variety, size, scenery to mention a few. Problem is that most of their fisheries are in a downward decline. Last I checked non-residents are only allowed two halibut per year and most charters now only fish for the smaller variety vs targeting the big ones. They wont tell you this but most of these trips are an assembly line get your limit and go home in a few hours. King Salmon is in much worse shape. Shorter or closed seasons in many rivers. I have several friends who have fished in Alaska for decades and according to them every trip is a little more disappointing. Their last trip was a total bust for the Kings and the Halibut were just legal size and the captain wouldn't work with them to find the larger ones. After booking this trip a year ahead of time and being assured that they would target the larger fish. They spent two weeks and $15,000 a piece to catch the lesser species of salmon and dink halibut and rock fish. The guides and outfitter keep telling them that you should have been here last week but after hearing that the last few years they aren't buying it. Kind of depressing when I have heard these guys rave about these trips for years.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That fish was from Alaska. Only 17lbs H&G, but certainly a good eating size. The water is always cold up there, so the flesh on Alaskan Halibut never gets milky from lactic acid buildup (like many caught during the summer further south towards California) World record is over 500lbs, but I think now a 100lb fish is considered pretty large.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Your right about the charters, most of em are an assembly line. But We had a good time in Alaska fishing with a charter. however our trip to Vancouver we actually towed a 24 ft WA out there, we fished every day, all day, even rough days we fished behind the islands, that was an incredible trip we caught twice as many fish as we did with the charters once we figure ed it out, big halibut, kings, Coh hos and everything in between. After that, if I booked another charter would lock in an agreement to CR or fish other species once we had our limit

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
146 Posts
I go on a San Diego long range trip every year. Two years ago we had so many Yellowfins and yellowtails that we were running out of room in the hold, so we went Halibut fishing in a cove. We slayed em up to 25 lbs or so but I was very disappointed in the meat, I thought it was gonna be like Flounder.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
California "warm water" Halibut and Alaskan Halibut may as well be a different species. Here's a top and bottom half of a 49# H&G Halibut from Alaska. image.jpg image.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts