Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm one of the few people (the only?) on this board who have a sailboat and also try and get serious about fishing. I usually have terrible luck but today was the best I've ever had fishing the Chesapeake from my sailboat.

I trolled from G1 at the mouth of the West River to BPL and back with only a few bites. The fishfinder was marking an amazing number of fish -- more than I've seen on that screen -- but they were all at about 38' and my lines weren't that deep.

Then at around 4:30pm around G1 at the mouth of the West River, the action started. I was trolling two rods each with tandem chartreuse bucktails. There was a point where I was trying to untangle the tandem rig and one of the bucktails was dangling in the water and the damn blues would come up and nail it right there in front of my eyes -- 6 feet from the stern! This happened multiple times. I barely had to let any line out and they were after it before the leader disappeared under the water, and they were decent-sized blues.

Caught lots of 15"-18" blues, once two at a time. What a fun fight. I could hardly get one unhooked before the second rod was screaming.

Then I caught a 27" rockfish in the below picture just east of the G1. I now see the value of those big-mouthed nets because this one I had to wrestle in by hand and he almost threw the hook in the process. God, that would've pissed me off to no end. Somehow, with scraped knuckles, I landed that SOB.

Man, solid day. This makes up for all the dry days and all the times I got made fun of on VHF 68 for being a sailor. :))

Attachments

·
Registered
667 Posts
Congratulation, very nice fish. My sister has a sailboat, I keep telling her she should troll while out.

Mike

·
Registered
913 Posts
Glad that you found them! I fished with Pat Malady on his boat out of West River, yesterday. We went up to Thomas Point in the morning, found a small school of breakers, and caught a blue and 6 rock (1 keeper) before they disappeared. Then, we trolled 30 miles up and down the eastern and western shore and caught nothing. We saw you at G1 in the late afternoon, but we were about a mile closer to shore.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I support TidalFish.
2,946 Posts
Nice fish. Glad you had some success. Where you under sail or power while you were trolling?

·
Registered
Koah Roller Speargun, 100 Euro
2,937 Posts
Way to go.:thumbup: I am impressed with your effort and glad to see you hit pay dirt...Don

·
Registered
275 Posts
nice catch...have you thought about what an optimal sailboat might be for Ches Bay fishing? How bout a Freedom w/ unstayed rig, no shouds or spreaders? Id also like to have a CB to pull up for sailing into thin water!
S.T.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
gtricker -- about 2-3 knots.

scotttaylor -- sailboats in general are not suited for trolling, especially if you're moving fast. You can slow it down to a degree but hard to stop. Don't even try heaving to or the boat changes course too much and the lines will go under the keel. Also, all that rigging interferes with the fishing. Trolling more than two rods is also prone to tangles. Rig the rod holders up so you get the best spread possible.

Lonnie Bruner

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Great job. I have been seeing fish at 35 feet all August. I guess they are hungry enough to bite now. I might get out tomorrow to join you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.