Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to stay warm.I'm 5'10'' and 170lbs.My dive buddies are "thicker".Last week at the bottom it was 54* and cold.I wear a hooded shorty 5mm with a 7 mm Henderson one piece.They were chilly but I started to shiver at the end.Any tricks or ideas? Thanks Skip

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
Solution....Stay in the Boat.[grin][grin]Naw, really Skip,Something I always wanted to do is learn to Dive.Only problem is,I think I may get clostrafobic[I know that can't be spelled right[grin]

When Driving,I always have to have the window cracked.Then,there is no place close that you can SEE anything![sad]
On vacation next week,will you be in the neighborhood?[Mike]

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have done 45-50 several times in a 3 mill full alone. if you are cold with that much neoprene on then you probabally should not be diving here. a dry suit is another option, but in my opinion they are more of a pain in the butt than they are worth. florida trips are not alot of money and you will stay warmer and have more fun. hatteras is very close, and there are warm water wrecks there too, but most are in the 100 ft range. the 7 mil henderson should be more than enough for 55 degree water, I would try that alone, and see if it is any better

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have a 5mm Diveskin, but in the summer months and even into early fall I dive with just the pants and a long sleeve shirt. I don't know how late into the early you plan to dive, but a 5mm and a hood is good from May into at least early November I'd say. Last year the water temp at the Tower was in the mid 70's.

·
Registered
805 Posts
If you're the cold type get ready to put on some more weight too. I'm the same way.

Henderson makes a nice warm suit, a one pc. will let more water in even if it's a 7mm than a two pc. and just like spearfishing you need more than one tool for diffrent enviroments so get a two pc. 7mm with a good hood and a hole on top, this is very important!

Another good thing about Henderson suits is that they dry fast and the're very flex. not like most of the others when they get to be two years old or more you will be fighting and alagator before you dive.
Use a skin under yoyr suit, this will stop any water movement inside your suit, will help gettin into it an you will stay warmer thru your dive. With a 2pc. suit you can always use just one section in warmer water but this changes will affect your weights so keep track of how much you use, the water temp., type of water you dive in and what you have on before your dive.

During cold water dives and after the first dive I always used a dry (never wet) suit if the one I used before did not dry enough, It is painfull to get into a cold suit for your second dive!

Good luck and be safe.

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice-well most of it.[wink]I dove the bay at Thanksgiving and it was chilly.Love the game too much that I'll put the cold out of the picture.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Try a semi-dry suit or a 4 mm compressed neoprene dry suit. I use a Bare 4mm dry suit. In the winter, all I wear under it is a polartec and a pair of wool socks. I am 6 ft., 200 lbs. Only use 18 lbs of weight.

·
Registered
457 Posts
wHAT DO YOU GUY'S WEAR UNDER YOUR SUITS? I'll be doing some winter kayaking and want to stay as dry and warm as possible if I should roll over.

·
Registered
805 Posts
There is something called a skin, divers use this thin material suit to keep the water from circulating under your main suit. I don't think that this is going to help you stay warm and in fact it may restric you and after you get wet you better get dry just as fast. If the sun is out you should be warm with a thin suit and keep surface water out.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Skip,
Duct tape the wrist and ankles after you put the suit on to keep water out. My Canadian friends do that successfully to dive through the winter without resorting to dry suits.
Mark

·
Registered
805 Posts
A well fitted wet suit will let water in and this water will warm up with your body heat, it works well if you don't have water coming in and out all the time changing your body temp. A dry suit on the other hand is very diffrent and I belive you need to take a course on "how to". Check with your local diving store .

·
Registered
457 Posts
Thanks for the info!!! Maybe next year I might give the diving thing a try. Sounds fun and I read the reports all the time. I'd like to see them fish in their own world for a change.

DARREN

·
Registered
135 Posts
Well your best bet would be a drysuit or a full 6/7semi dry suit, I have a Mares Millenium Isothem 6.5mm with wrist,neck and ankles are sealed so that suit does me right in the winter. I do use it alot especially since I do bottom cleanings and prop change outs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts