hair evenly around the lure head?
It seems to tend to clump unevenly to
one side
What’s the trick?
T

·
Registered
477 Posts
Not that I know the answer but someone once told me that clear nail polish works great for that and also glues the ends of the threads in place

Good luck
Benny

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
Not trying to be smart or anything but it takes practice, lots of practice. After you've tied a few hundred you'll start to get the knack. Do a Google search on Bucktail Tying and you'll pick up some valuable ticks and tips. Sign up and attend the Rigging Parties when you see them posted. You'll get hands on experience there. But right now you can print out some illustrations from google and with them sit down and practice.

·
Premium Member
8,174 Posts
get some deep penetrating fly tying cement. coat the thread wraps before and after tying in clumps of hair. Use a good bobbin with strong tread, put a couple loose wrappings around the hair then pread the hair around the jig head, then bear down on the wrappings and tie it off good, then more cement on the threads.

after it dries completly I would add a coat of epoxy..

The hair at the tip of the bucktail is solid and ties better. The hair closer to the "body" is hollow and flairs alot (it also is more boyant)

·
Registered
394 Posts
If you have any friends that are fly tyers, they can show you faster than I can tell you. If not Get yourself a good bobbin and some Kevlar or monocord thread. For large bucktails you can tie them in a regular vise. If you are right handed, put the bucktail in the vice facing right. Make sure the barb of the hook is covered by the vice. Get a good even wrap of threads on the tying portion of the bucktail before you add the deer hair. Cut a clump of deer hair holding the clump between the first finger and thumb of your left hand. Put the deer hair onto the bucktail, but do not remove yor hand until you have made 6 or 7 wraps around the hair. Its easier for an inexperienced person to add several clumps of hair instead of one large one. Wrap each clump as you go. When you have the entire bucktail covered to your satisfaction, wrap thread back and forth until you have covered the entire tying area of the bucktail. Finish off with a few coats of head cement and you are ready to go.
Fishboy

·
Registered
903 Posts
I've been tying flies for a pretty long time and it's still trickyto get a great looking lure. First, don't put too much hair on at once, second: use "D" thread because it's much stronger for the larger lures and third: after two-three wraps after a new bunch on hair tighten by pulling the thread up (toward the ceiling - helps with not flaring bucktail) then after two or so wraps you can tighten down. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
26,179 Posts
Tomorrow (Monday) a guy is speaking at Earliegh Heights fishing club about lure making.410 Hey-Fish for info.Starts at 7 pm. Skip

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
get yourdelf a "base" of thread on the jig.. I coat that with fly head cement. Wapsi brand.
Dont try to put too much hair on at once, use small pcs and start that way.. after you get the hang of it you will be able to use larger pcs and work them around the jig. Tie a few half hitches and more cement.

·
Registered
236 Posts
One more consideration---where you cut the hair from the buck tail makes a difference.
The closer to the base of the tail, the more the hair "flairs" and whats to move around on the the hook. Generally the bottom 1/3 is not much good for tying.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
3,295 Posts
Another way is to tie the bucktail as you would a parachute .........

1. make several wraps around the collar

2. place and hold some bucktail hair on the collar backwards (hair end on the collar and the length over the head of the bucktail not the hook)

3. wrap several times fairly tight

4. spread the hair evenly by lightly twisting the hair around the collar with 2 or three fingers .......... like your turning the knob on a radio or something

5 when the hair is fairly even around the collar then tightly wrap from the top of the collar to the bottom and back up all the way once

6 Fold the hair back towards the hook and hold or hold with a rubberband around the hookshank

7 get the thread between the beginning of the fold of the hair and the collar and wrap tightly and as evenly as you can back toward the hook on the collar.

8. wrap as many passes as you want and then tie off
THis method will lock the hair in place because it is tied, folded back and tied again.

Head cement will further lock it and give a finished look.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Attend the 2007 Flyfest!! Its free and a great investment of your time, those folks will have you tying bucktail in no time. I attended the first-ever flyfest; it really shortened my learning curve for flytying and lure making. You will have fun and meet some great folks. Don't be intimidated that they are fly guys, most of them also fish with other gear, you will be glad you attended!

http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192000

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
All good suggestions. Here's what I do:

Wrap a layer of thread on the collar before cutting and placing hair. Once hair is placed on the collar, make 4-5 "loose" wraps with the thread... then push the hair evenly around the collar... adding more hair if needed. Once it's evely distributed around the collar and the wraps completed, I use clear fingernail polish to coat the wraps. I know, it doesn't pentrate the threads like the good stuff, but it's a LOT cheaper. And after all, the reason I tie my own is to save money!

·
Registered
849 Posts
rhahn 427 --

i like your "fold over" idea. that is the technique i use for adding flash/tinsel.

it seems to me, that approach would work very well for "hair-on-a-hook", as for jigging flies. think i'll have to try it later tonite.

b

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Buy new ones.

Unless you're looking for something to do over the winter...besides fishing.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Run a few loose loops around your deer hair and then tighten it up while distributing the hair around the hook shank with your other hand. Also, thin your glue with a little solvent to help it soak in to the base of the hair.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I tied some parachutes last year with nylon hair and followed most of the tips here with success. Nylon hair comes out of the package with one end solid. In other words all the hair is attached on one end and loose on the other. I kept the solid end in tact until I was done tying the lure. Once done, I just cut it off with sharp scissors. The lures made it through the whole year and once I glue some new eyeballs on I plan to use them again.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Find a Kid with Braces and ask him for some of his rubber bands. You have to get the real small ones, but they work
I use these to hold the hair in place until I even it out around the lure head. I then simply wrap over the rubber band and glue the thread once I have wrapped enough

Good Luck

1 - 20 of 20 Posts