Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After teasing Franky at the OC Marlin Club about adding a tuna and shark division, for what has been their season opener Bluefish charity fundraising event. He called my bluff, but said "I expect you to enter and go all in now"! So Magic Moment teamed up with Tim of Got Fish Too to make a weekend of it.

Saturday we fishing on Magic Moment's season opener with Tim, Jim "Chocomilo" Barbey, Richard, Mark and Fred. Of 21 boats, we were apparently the only one dumb enough to try Saturday. Snotty conditions, but following or quartering seas for the ride out. Was bump most of the day, but fishable. Started in Baltimore but only found 64 degree water so we slid south and into 70 fathoms. Had two cover ups, but only managed two fish out of each fire drill with a few skippys thrown in. Pretty slow the rest of the day, but one fish was a little bigger than the rest, so off to the scales we went. 42.6 lbs put us in the lead in the race of one, lol. Didn't have much hope of it holding up, but fun to get a team pic at the scales.

Sunday Fished with Tim on his boat. He can post his own report, but got just one fish that made weight, barely. Many of the 20 boats came to the scales with a good number of fish, but most in the 35 to 40lb range. My friend and dock neighbor John on Gret's 3 J's weighed the only qualifying mako at 120 lbs. The last boat in was the Grady, A Salt Weapon with a bag full of tuna. Knew we were in jeopardy when we saw one bigger fish throw on the dock. Congrats to the crew for bumping us with a 48 lber as the last fish weighed in the tourney. The good news for us was that Franky shamed me in to going all in, so we took top Calcutta for the tuna division:) Fun way to start the season!

Jim
Magic Moment
35 CC

Attachments

·
Registered
428 Posts
I was a great weekend. I got to fish offshore 2 days in a row and we came back with some tuna and a little bit of money!

Thanks for the trip Jim!

Tim T.
Got Fish Too
Judge 34 Express

·
Registered
292 Posts
Pretty work guys...seemed like a fun tourney and hopefully will continue to grow with these early season YFTs.

Maybe next year there could be a stringer category? Franky? Not a terrible idea and an extra Calcutta :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts