Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"U.S. Army Brigadier General Patrick Finnegan, the dean of the United States Military Academy at West Point, along with several senior FBI and CIA agents who have conducted thousands of interrogations in their careers. Their verdict was simple and straightforward; the torture scenes in the show were affecting the way that cadets at West Point as well as troops in the field were approaching the interrogation of prisoners:

Finnegan told the producers that "24," by suggesting that the U.S. government perpetrates myriad forms of torture, hurts the country's image internationally. Finnegan, who is a lawyer, has for a number of years taught a course on the laws of war to West Point seniors-cadets who would soon be commanders in the battlefields of Iraq and Afghanistan. He always tries, he said, to get his students to sort out not just what is legal but what is right. However, it had become increasingly hard to convince some cadets that America had to respect the rule of law and human rights, even when terrorists did not. One reason for the growing resistance, he suggested, was misperceptions spread by "24," which was exceptionally popular with his students. As he told me, "The kids see it, and say, ‘If torture is wrong, what about "24"?' " He continued, "The disturbing thing is that although torture may cause Jack Bauer some angst, it is always the patriotic thing to do..."

The third expert at the meeting was Tony Lagouranis, a former Army interrogator in the war in Iraq. He told the show's staff that DVDs of shows such as "24" circulate widely among soldiers stationed in Iraq. Lagouranis said to me, "People watch the shows, and then walk into the interrogation booths and do the same things they've just seen." He recalled that some men he had worked with in Iraq watched a television program in which a suspect was forced to hear tortured screams from a neighboring cell; the men later tried to persuade their Iraqi translator to act the part of a torture "victim," in a similar intimidation ploy. Lagouranis intervened: such scenarios constitute psychological torture."

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
I watch 24, one of the few things I see on TV. The scenes seem to be overexaggerated & surreal, however, the main story lines dont appear to be too far fetched. The real issue I have is with actors who dont subscribe to the terrorist war like the main character, Keifer Sutherland. I guess in the end they're all actors, no more no less.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
David Fury a writer for "24" responds:

"It’s disturbing to think that members of our military learning their techniques and training are getting it from entertainment like 24. One would think that their training would be far more extensive in the real world and that they’d understand that this is a heightened reality."

"heightened reality" - POO!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts