Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
weather.gov/lwx/

Not really an app, but this has been very helpful for me.

You can select you area on the map and then choose the marine zone forecast.

I then correlate the information with my local weather at weather.com/

Mike

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
+1 on Fishweather for wind. I gave up on NOAA some time back, as "5-10 knots and 1 foot waves" often turns out to be 15 and 3 footers.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Marine Weather, which pulls the NOAA Forecasts for a couple days out and offshore

Wunderground and Accuweather for 1 day out and current day

Radar Scope and Fish weather for day of

Smartbouys right before I head out, I check current speed there as well, to see if it is inline with predictions.

Navionics for current predictions

Most of these apps are free or cheap, having multiple sources is easy. I use multiple sources, especially in questionable weather forecasts.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
MarineWeather by AccuWeather
Wunderground
Weatherbug
Windfinder
SmartBouys
RadarScope (thanks hookin-up jamie)

I'll hit them all, then make my own assessment.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I find fishweather hot or miss on its real time wind data. I like it but like anything weather related hit them all and make a decision.

·
Registered
636 Posts
+1 on Fishweather for wind. I gave up on NOAA some time back, as "5-10 knots and 1 foot waves" often turns out to be 15 and 3 footers.
As a prudent captain ALWAYS add the lowest and highest forecasted winds together to get actual winds as you have obviously done here and hit it right on the nose. So many things come into play when trying to plan a trip on the bay. If the winds are from true south or north pretty much stay home, however all other winds are very dependent on where you plan fishing. High winds from west stay west high winds from east stay east. Pretty much common sense. I usually not always check wind wave conditions but more than likely aren't the conditions you'll encounter. Best weather prediction I can give is to get up, stick your nose out of the inlet and see what it's like! Cannot tell you how many trips have been cancelled due to the weather forcast the nite before. We cannot rely on our government to run a country properly let alone predict the weather. How would you like the weather man to predict your stock futures...... Oh boy!

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
"How would you like the weather man to predict your stock futures."

If you know a stock analyst that's better at picking stocks than a weatherman is with the weather, please share his name.

·
Registered
502 Posts
ndbc.noaa.gov find tplm2 this is Thomas point light. gives you real time. there is a link at the top of the page for NWS marine forcast.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I look up NOAA marine weather. Also when going out mid day or later i check the Bay bouys for the wind. They use to monitor wave height also but looks like that has stopped.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hands down "wind alert" app by weatherflow. Intuitive and accurate. It's not a total weather package but for me the wind is one of the most important aspects to planning a trip and this app delivers. Also use "radar scope" for checking incoming storms while on the water.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts