Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the striper moratorium was first lifted in 1989, MD did not have a long striper season. It started with a couple of weeks in October with I think one fish per person. There were a fair number of good sized fish on the lumps at Pooles Island back then. Mike Benjamin and I used live eels and stemmed the tide with the motor in idle--just enough to keep the eel moving. The boats would line up over those lumps and all move at about the same speed against the tide. Most boats moved very slowly, and it seemed everyone caught fish.

One boat decided to troll faster and go around all the other lined up boats. He came by our boat and hooked a fish. His fish swam over to my line and my hook caught inside the eye of his three way swivel. We landed the fish from his swivel. What are the chances of that? If I thought I could do that by design, I would play the lottery.:yes:

Do you have any stories of very unlikely stuff happening while fishing?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Suspense is killing me, which of you ended up with the fish ???? :wacko:

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Guess I did leave that part out.;-)

Since the guys were being jerks and weaving in and out of all the boats and since I was using a fairly heavy leader, the fish was slung in our boat and the guys in the other boat never knew what happened. Getting hung up was common on those lumps and I think they thought that is what happened. They just kept going.

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
While trolling in the MSSA this past spring, we hooked a crab pot and lost my favorite wwb white parachute. We trolled half the day and unfortunately hooked another crab pot. This time I wasnt cutting my losses. We swung back around to unhook from the pot line only to find the parachute we lost earlier in the day on the line as well. There was a whole string of pots in the channel off of PLO that day. To have hooked the same pot and find the lure later that day was crazy. (at least to us)

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Guess I did leave that part out.;-)

Since the guys was being jerks and weaving in and out of all the boats and since I was using a fairly heavy leader, the fish was slung in our boat and the guys in the other boat never knew what happened. Getting hung up was common on those lumps and I think they thought that is what happened. They just kept going.
The follow-up is the best part of that story. :clap:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was trolling eels in those days at Pooles and handed a rod to the guy fishing with me. He didn't get a good handle on the rod and dropped it overboard. I set up a rod with a weight and treble hook and trolled perpendicular to where we thought we dropped the rod. Luckily on the second pass when we pulled the treble line in we had another line hooked. We pulled the line in and it was the rod we dropped over. I still have that old Penn rod and reel and occasionally use it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
smalllie on a ahandline

about 10 yrs ago my buddy and i were smallie fishing on the brandywine river , near hagley mills in delaware. we paddle upstream about a mile to a gravel bar . we saw bait fish jumping much like a chesapeake bay blitz.throwing sportsmanship out the window we raced up the gravel bar to see who would get the first cast. i was running to get closer and my buddy stopped and launched a spook at it.it was when firleline first came out and he casted past the the braid mono connection.. the smallie took it and he gave a bigol' jimmy houston hookset and snapped the mono.he was pissed because it looked to be a really nice smallie(for delaware stnadards). afteer a few cus words the fished jumped still hooked..then the braid bumped into my leg.. game on.. we had a pair of gloves and after some great hand over hand retrieving dave landed a 2 lb smallie.. not huge but what a great time .. we still talk about it.....:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
This past summer, I was live-lining spot in the East Channel in OC for flounder with my buddy Greg, when I "hooked" a nice one. I fought it to the surface taking it carefully since I knew it was a nice fish, and just as I got it to the top, it slipped. It didn't get off, it just kinda slipped. I brought my hook out of the water and found it was around another line. Greg yells "Hey ! That's my line !" and starts reeling, only to find that we're badly tangled. Somehow, I managed to untangle the lines and steer the boat despite a ripping current, lots of traffic and the Rt 50 bridge rapidly approaching. It seemed to take forever. Meanwhile, Greg keeps saying "Hurry up, I think it's still on there." Finally, I got it free and he brought a nice, fat, 22" flounder into the boat.

·
Registered
253 Posts
One year drum fishing down at #16 a friend of mine hooks up a drum, it takes off up the bay after a 45 min fight he takes off past us and to the anchor rope he goes, goes around three or four times and he must of buried hisself into the bottom or something another friend and I took the rod and unwrapped it from around the rope several times in the dark (I didn't have my lights hooked up front yet) Had only the bow lights and deck lights on and a flash light. After getting the last wrap from around the rope the fish takes off back past the boat, my friend takes back his rod and the fish goes over and under a buddies boat fishing next to us they pull their lines up and the fish turns back towards going up the bay which gets into this guys lower unit. He pulls the motor up starts unwrapping the line. Now I'm telling my friend that had hooked the fish (time lasp of about 2 hrs. now) that the fish is gone and to cut his line to rerig. My other friend with the last wrap in his hand is saying that there's someting still on the line (Now I'm saying their all crazy and full of it at this time) so he lets go of the line and now he's hooked backup with this fish (I can't belive it) and about 20-30 mins of more fighting he comes to the net weighing in at 83.4 lbs. Something I thought never would have happened, but it was worth it

Bryan

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
A sharker off OC landed a nice Mako shark.Their hook caught the swivel of a leader that had broken off another boat.

My father got a 22'' Rock off Sandy Point livelining- his Spot swam around a broken off leader sticking out of the Rock's mouth.

I broke off a wireline rig bottom bouncing after a strike.Next pass - we caught the leader and landed the fish.

·
Registered
531 Posts
two rock on one eel at the same time. Back in the same year, '91, i think it was, we were eeling a nice school of upper 20's rock at 7 ft knoll. Had a pick up, gave him some line but nothing there. another pickup, drop back and set up. felt kinda funny. got him in found that there were 2 rock on the line. the eel had gone out the gills of the first fish and another hooked up.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
My first boat was a 17ft mckee craft ctr console. One late afternoon I had my wife out fishing with me. We had more rods than rodholders so I always laid two rods in the bottom of the boat with the tips hanging slightly off the stern. I look over and my wife is reading a book. I tell her "be sure you keep an eye on that rod, a big fish will pull it over". Ten minutes later she's looking at all the boats on the water saying, "I really like that one, isn't that one pretty, and look how fast that one is going". I tell her, "keep an eye on that rod". Ten minutes later she's looking at the moon rising and saying how pretty it looks. "Better keep an eye on that rod" I say. No sooner did I get it out of my mouth when my rod goes thunk, thunk, thunk out the back of the boat. I chase it as it heads out and over the transom stopping as I crawl over the motor and just short of the water.
Three minutes later she hooks into a nice fish and reels in a big rock and my rod/reel as well. I unhook everything and get a picture of her holding the fish. She gives it a big ole "Jimmy Houston" kiss on the head and slides it back over the side. 5th

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Went to throw out a top water plug at the sewer pipe and forgot to flip the bail........threw the rod right in the drink. After about 10 minutes of the foullest language, you can imagine.....went back to the spot that I marked on the GPS, a little late after losing my rod......and the first cast, dragging a stingsilver on the bottom, hooked the tip eye of my rod and brought her back to the boat:yes:

Hooked a blue crab while trolling for Macs this august.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had my nephew, Wyeth, on the boat this summer for the first time. We were bottom fishing for croakers when his rod went over like a large croaker will do...the next second nothing. I am fishing next to him and getting ready to tell him what he did wrong when my rod doubled over. Then another nephew, Adam, standing on the other side of me has his rod doubled over. Some where along the way Wyeth's rod is bent over again...pretty soon I figured out we were all fighting the same fish. Long story short, when we sorted it out, Wyeth's hook was the only one in the fish. 191/2 inch citation croaker. Should have won him the Tundra but his name did not get pulled.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Fished Loch Raven Reservior with my buddy Justin about 5 years ago using crawdads. I must have caught 15 bass to his none. Each fish I would rub it in a little harder...Finally he hooked into a giant largemouth and was talking trash to me the entire time he was fighting it to the boat. While at the boat the fish breaks the line off and swims away. I chuckle and keep fishing as he curses. Ten minutes later I hook into a giant bass and land it with Justins hook in its mouth. It was a 5.5lb largie. As the captain, I called it a day:D

·
Registered
81 Posts
Back when Virgil Poe and I were tagging pickerel in the Magothy we would occasionally 're-capture' a tagged fish. Usually it was in the same spot it was caught before, but on one or two occasions it was in a completely different cove. Once we caught a pickerel, tagged it, released it, and caught it again on the next cast. Persistent little bugger. Some of the more satisfying re-captures were when we'd catch the fish a year later and see how it grew. In any case, I still find it amazing how many of those taggd fish we personnnaly recaptured. I guess in this case the odds weren't so bad.

I'm still looking for ol' Diamond Jim.

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
Hmmm.....

Saw a Pickerel caught with the same lure in him that the guy had just lost on the previous cast.

Caught a Spanish Mack on a surface plug at the head of the Severn River.

Caught a baby Black Sea Bass this spring well up Saltworks Creek in the Severn.

More similar to your story, I was fishing at some God-awful stocked trout pond a couple years ago in Western MD. At 5:30, all 300-plus folks cast to the same spot in the center of the pond. Not one fish I caught that morning was actually hooked by me.:thumbup:

Oh yeah.....a few years ago I landed a Rockfish that offered me three wishes if I'd set him free. Like I would fall for that!....into the cooler he went.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts