Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
This post has been done a bunch over the years, and everyone has there personal preferences. So the best thing is to try different brands and weights on several different rods and see what you like the best. All the different lines are good, but they all are a little different. It becomes a matter of personal choice.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
20lb. Firleine. For me it handles much better than PP. Bump it to 20 cuz offshore you never know what's gonna bite and 20 atleast gives you a chance.

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
DITTO what Russ said. at least #14 test----------------

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
I doubt you'll apply more than five or six pounds of drag on any lite spinning reel. Determine which line casts and feels right when choosing what to spool. as mentioned before, its a personal choice;)

·
Registered
767 Posts
Quite a few guys mentioned problems with wind knots using PowerPro in a recent thread http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194299

I've had a few tangles with it, too with light tackle - trolling, no problems. May try a couple of different lines this year to see if I have better casting.
I haven't found any type of line that will never tangle but broken in power pro is always my number one for casting, jigging and deep trolled lines.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Yall, ill have to try a few brands to see what i like. Since ive never used anything but mono I wasnt quit sure what test to run, I was thinkin' smaller line higher test.
So i think ill hold off on the #60 test ,,, i read somers,thanks

GO RAVENS!

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I doubt you'll apply more than five or six pounds of drag on any lite spinning reel. Determine which line casts and feels right when choosing what to spool. as mentioned before, its a personal choice;)
Catman is right, what good is 20lb class braid, which actually tests out twice that, when your little reel can't even produce 10lbs of drag?

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Any combo you plan to use for dolphin should be somewhat stout. Dolphin can go pretty crazy and having a rod you can contorl them with is nice. I still say 20LB braid cuz a nice size offshore spinner sould do aroun 8-10 pounds of drag and you always whant a 2/1 ration of line test to drag.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
For the last few years I have used 20 lb Fireline (smoke) and 20-40 lb flouro leader (40 lb when the blues are out). After talking to Walleye Pete and others, I'm dropping to 14 lb Fireline.

I use a 10x10 knot with the Fireline doubled to attach the leader. When using 40 lb flouro, I tie the lure on with a bowline knot. It is a weak knot and breaks before the 10x10.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts