Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I've moved my boat from the Magothy river near Annapolis down to Solomons and had a hit & miss 2006 season, can someone give me some insight into the quality of the fishing--on average--in So. MD?

Is it getting better or worse over time? What about dead zones I experienced up north? Are they predictable, meaning they show up in the same location each year and can be avoided?

How about the bait fish? I hear so much about Omega scooping them up before they reach the MD line. Believe I only saw a couple of pods of bunker on the surface this year. Should I be seeing more?

Where are the white perch? Caught loads of them up North, but none here.

Should I concentrate my efforts in the Solomon's area, or further south...say to the target ship area?"

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Due to unusal alignment of planets and global warming, all the feesh will be slung to the western shore... ain't no feesh over here to the east.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber
2,741 Posts
I can,t speak for any other time but the spring in the Solomons Isl. area, but the fishing should be awesome for large stripers. In the summer/fall in the upperbay, the striper fishing has been the best its been in 30 plus years. I think if you make the right choices, you should have no trouble catching all the fish you want at anytime of year around solomons (even white perch). Im sure there will be some that claim the fisherie is terrible. I honestly think alot of people pretend that the fishing is bad because they are anti-watermen, its kind of hard to try to give the watermen the shaft, while at the same time admit the fishing is great. thats my 3 cents:D

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Get your charts out and learn the Honga, Hoopers straits, richland bouy, bloodsworth island, south marsh island and fishing bay. Those areas will produce plenty of nice Rock and specks when everybody is complaining how bad the fishing is. Hooopers island bridge is 11 miles from the mouth of the pax, there is super fishing with a few miles of the bridge.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
If your lucky, you might get a few keeper Sea Bass without trying, now that your further south. Does that say anything about fishing further south??

- Dae

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Get your charts out and learn the Honga, Hoopers straits, richland bouy, bloodsworth island, south marsh island and fishing bay. Those areas will produce plenty of nice Rock and specks when everybody is complaining how bad the fishing is. Hooopers island bridge is 11 miles from the mouth of the pax, there is super fishing with a few miles of the bridge.
There you go again... baiting those poor western shore newbies. You should be ashamed.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
No matter what, the fishing south over all will be better than north. Over the last couple of years I have have done most of my fishing south. The extra time driving is worth it because the quality of fishing is so much better. You might wanttot get hooked up with Walleye Pete to get an intro to the area. He has that area down. Good luck.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Solomon's

I fish the upper bay area but I do rememeber reports from a TFer out of Solomon's that caught the he!! out of spanish, rocks and blues trolling with planers. I would do a search for Solomon's reports. Best of luck.

Fin

·
Registered
849 Posts
in a nutshell: this past spring was the best i've had in the 7 or 8 years i've been fishing the bay pretty seriously. if '07 is nearly as good, we're all in good shape. (hope, hope.) summer also held up pretty well.

if i remember correctly, you're keeping your batteau at nav rec ctr.
it will be all of an 11-mile run to green 77:) .

i have also been told that the drop at red 76 is getting very good for flounder. and the rip can be fun.

(have i given away any secrets?)

have a good year.

b

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My trolling gear has been gathering dust for the last couple of years. Guess I had better break it out this spring.

Was disappointed with the croaker season. Have had trouble finding the oyster beds. Guess it will come with time as I learn the new (to me) area.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
PLO!

I haven't been doing this for long,(two years) but I trailer from Arlington. The early spring doesn't matter from Sandy Point, blowboats not in the water yet. However, we finally realized that taking the boat to Buzz's or the state park at PLO is so much more enjoyable. The boats are spread out, everyone has room, and we catch tasty flounder. (Stop at the Tackle Box and get some minnows) It takes me one hour to Sandy point,(lots of boats,lots of frustration) hour and a half to Solomons (some boats, long run) half hour more and there are flounder, blues(I smoke 'em) stripers, and anything else in the bay. We just wake up an hour earlier and have a much better fishing experience. For the time that we trailer, it's so worth it, especially if you stop by Buzz's and talk to Christie and Mike, they'll tell you where the fish are, so you don't waste your time, go south.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Find out where Walleye Pete is giving one of his seminars ( saw him at Buzz's last year). You will learn everything you need to know about that area and then some! He has pictures and maps, nothing is held back. Then book a trip with him for first hand expierience that is well worth it.

·
Registered
826 Posts
this area has great fishing you just have to apply your knowledge of the species you are targeting, the mm reefs produce stripers, trout, perch, sea bass, great area for trolling, also the best kept secret is the skinny water fishing. To me there is nothin better then to cast a CHUGBUG into a pile of wood and have a striper smack the plug. these same wood piles hold tons of those delicious white perch. I`ve been fishing this area for 9 years and each year you learn something new. PS the guys in this area finnally caught onto live lining the channel edges. I definitly think you need to study the map of this area that`s the key to locating your targeted species then its proper presentation. Good luck watch for my reports on the area.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
To answer your question - the fishing out of Solomon's has generally been on a decline for the last three years. After the spring rush, the good fish were up Annapolis way for the rest of the summer. And that has been the case for the last couple of years.

Pax River generally lousy for last four years...I'd stay North or go PLO.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
I honestly cant remember a year like we had in '06.. I thought '05 was great. I have never seen rockfishing this good. I fished thru the 80's ands everything else that went on... I look forwad to a great '07...with the rock

It doesnt get any better than it is right now... I do miss the trout and flounder of years past... The bay was covered with rock last year...record catches....but where ARE THE TROUT AND FLOUNDER?

we did manage to have a fair season at best with flounder in the E bay area...Trout..thats another story

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
My striper fishing was better than up north, but I was hoping to get into a better croaker fishery, and chase some trout. Last year, the croakers seemed smaller than the spot we used to liveline.

Pax, to what do you attribute the decline? I know you fish a couple of times a week, being that your work is so close to the water. You have a lot of experience down there, and seem to be the lone voice in the wilderness.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I'm not gonna give you a lot of anecdotal evidence about Pax River fishing in the Nineties and 2000, 2001. Suffice to say it was excellent.

It started a steady decline in 2002, and hasn't been the same since Isabelle.

I attribute the change to water quality - I'd have thought last year would have been gangbusters with the low salinity and relatively clear water. But the croaker, trout and stripers never showed in any decent numbers.

August through November should show schools of dink rock all over the river, with big ones underneath. Bluefish rocketing through the middle of them. Flounder on the edges.

It hasn't been happening.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts