Tidal Fish Forum banner

To me, Columbus Day mostly means (choose one):

• A day to fish

Votes: 27 39.1%
  • A day to pay taxes so that other people can fish

Votes: 23 33.3%
  • A celebration of 516 years since smallpox and measles discovered the new world

Votes: 9 13.0%
  • A celebration of the GPS

Votes: 10 14.5%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK...poll is ready (see above)!!

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Come on Mr Kaler.. SAY IT !!!!

At this point and time, its another day the DOW will be closed, and that can only be a good thing...

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey, who rated this thread one star!?:eek: Or did you mean 5-stars and your mouse just slipped?:yes: Echo? Stonewall? Fess up.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Come on Mr Kaler.. SAY IT !!!!

At this point and time, its another day the DOW will be closed, and that can only be a good thing...
Good point. My 401K won't loose on Monday. Sweet. :clap: Now, if I could just get off work so I could fish. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
After some recent "management changes," the company I work for decided that for the first time in its 25 year history that it won't be taking employees on a trip/seminar over the Columbus Day holiday this year. :confused: Last year was to the Bahamas. Before that: Jamaica, Vegas, New Orleans, Bahamas, Cabo, Cancun, Dominican, etc.

They got rid of the Columbus Day holiday and gave us President's Day instead this year.

I suppose I'll be working...

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
So few people (except for the natives) really know what Columbus brought to their world:
A celebration of 516 years since smallpox and measles discovered the new world

Glad some other folks know that Columbus and the rest of those that followed basically enslaved the natives of the islands off of America and killed more of them through disease than anything else. Many of them killed themselves rather than suffering through the inhumanities that were thrust among them. Most people that know the true history see Columbus as bad or worse than Adolph Hitler.

This may be my first :soapbox:

·
Tidal Fish SUPER Commercial Subscriber
10,897 Posts
And all this time I thought Columbus Day was just holding a Monday holiday date spot for the inevitable Jesse Jackson holiday. Or maybe we could change Columbus Day to "Discovery Day" marking all great discoveries. Kinda like George Washington's Birthday celebration became Washington Lincoln Day and now - "President's Day". Maybe Veteran's Day can become "Rosie O'Donnell Day", etc.

The possibilities are endless...

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
I give him alot of credit to have the guts to go explore the oceans in a small sailing boat.The tales of sea monsters and sailing off the edge of the world kept most sailors close to port.Sailing uncharted waters and then being able to find his way back is amazing.

·
Registered
654 Posts
So few people (except for the natives) really know what Columbus brought to their world:
A celebration of 516 years since smallpox and measles discovered the new world

Glad some other folks know that Columbus and the rest of those that followed basically enslaved the natives of the islands off of America and killed more of them through disease than anything else. Many of them killed themselves rather than suffering through the inhumanities that were thrust among them. Most people that know the true history see Columbus as bad or worse than Adolph Hitler.

This may be my first :soapbox:
To be fair, people of that era were pretty ignorant of how diseases are spread. They had no idea what a virus was even. They would not have known that they were spreading something nor would it have occurred to them that the "natives" were not already afflicted.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Lets not go around bad mouthing infections and small pox we have dedicated goverment departments for such out breaks, Duct tape/plastic sheeting sales to do, and not to mention my job of wallowing in drug resistant infections

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
180 Posts
The poll show how few of us support the the many, maybe that will change soon, you know they are talking change.
The duck

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Columbus Day?

A lighter than usual commute to work, which is extra sweet for my wife who will only take 45 minutes to get to her job in Rockville as opposed to the usual hour and a half...

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I give him alot of credit to have the guts to go explore the oceans in a small sailing boat.The tales of sea monsters and sailing off the edge of the world kept most sailors close to port.Sailing uncharted waters and then being able to find his way back is amazing.
My plan to sail the Pacific and convert the native heathen is why I got into boating. But the thought of sea monsters, along with my flat earth beliefs, is what caused me to sell the Parker.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts