Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No, not like after a bad weekend in Tijuana, but today when we went to start the boat there was ice in the line. I tried to start it a few times and couldnt get it going...I ended up running back to the house and borrowing my wife's hairdryer, but as Jeff Sykes asked me, what do you do if you are at the ramp? somewhere else? Any suggestions?

But I tell you, I"m glad noone had the photo of the two bald guys at my boat with a hairdryer...that's would be a photos worthy of what Mike Rose posts are made of!!!

·
Registered
163 Posts
My Yamaha does the same thing when it is real cold, and I just get the motor started and let it warm up. It clears itself out once the motor warms up after a few minutes.

:fishing2:

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Im just glad you thought of the hairdryer... I wasnt about to sacrifice the coffee!!!:D:D

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
A lot of times the clog is right at the exit. YOu can use a paper clip to clear it out. Don't have a paper clip? I keep a straightened out jig head with the barb smashed down in my tool box. IT will clear the ice or the cob webs that sometimes clog it. If that doesn't work than you have a bigger problem.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
just let it run at idle for a few minutes to warm up, it'll usually clear itself, A piece of heavy mono (100# +) will also work to feed up there and loosen any blockage.

·
Registered
837 Posts
A lot of times the clog is right at the exit. YOu can use a paper clip to clear it out.
I always keep a paper clip on my key rings for clearing irrigation heads at work...same problem...works like a charm for the outboard too:yes:

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
After I read the title... you might want to consider a change... Im surprised that nobody has had a "special" comment for that yet...

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
My Honda doesn't pee when it's really cold. My last trip out this past Saturday my motor didn't pee for about 10-12 minutes. I figure there must be a thermostat of some sort in there because the motor over-temp alarm would have sounded after running for that amount of time.

-JB

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My Honda doesn't pee when it's really cold. My last trip out this past Saturday my motor didn't pee for about 10-12 minutes. I figure there must be a thermostat of some sort in there because the motor over-temp alarm would have sounded after running for that amount of time.

-JB
I did wonder about that...how long I can run without causing a problem!!!

·
Registered
837 Posts
In the dead of winter my Mercury outboard pees pretty quickly. When I get the motor serviced they mention a thermostat thingy that does regulate this. I want cooling water through there fast. 10-12 minutes would cause me concern...but maybe thats just me.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Mark; are you using the proper additives to your fuel? With the weather so cold right now, it's important to add Ringfree, Startron, Stabil, and Flowmax!!!! 5th (Marty)

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
The pee hole is there as an indicator of whether or not your impeller is pumping. In cold weather it's pretty common for them to freeze-up so that no water is coming out even though the impeller is okay, but it's not always a safe assumption. If no water comes out, you need to be sure why. If you're sure it's ice, no harm in running the engine. But if you're in doubt, clean it out.

Pretty common for mud daubers and other bugs to clog them up in the summer down south. In older OMC motors the pee hole hose connects to a hard plastic fitting that exits through the cowling. You can remove that fitting if it's frozen or otherwise stopped up. I've used straightened hooks and even a stiff piece of floro leader line to clean them out.

Also, if you're pee hole is frozen then water could be freezing elsewhere in the boat or engine. My understanding is that outboards are self-draining, but make sure you store with the engine all the way down so that all the water drains from the block. The same thing applies when you're fishing if you're stopped for long periods in sub-freezing temps. Don't trim it up and leave it. I've had jon boat motors freeze-up when left them propped up after pulling them up on the bank to hunt. Also, drain well at the ramp before you trailer home.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Try a TURP procedure (Transurethral resection of the prostate). It will improve peehole flow -- but don't try it with your trusty paper clip. :eek:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts