Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting question on the radio, not sure what show I was on at the time, channel surfing.

What do you fear more, the government or terrorists?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Someone sent this to me in an email

Just wanted to let you know the New Homeland Security Bill has passed. Things will be different now and Internet surfing as you know it will be tracked by what the FBI calls a "non-intrusive method." The FBI says you will not notice anything different.

For a demonstration, click on the link below:
http://users.chartertn.net/tonytemplin/FBI_eyes/

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Considering what the "government" (both parties) has already done to this country the terrorists are a minor inconvenience. The "fear of the next terrorist attack...and the manipulaton of the alert colors" by the current government has many Americans cowering in corners and willingly giving up one freedom after another.
The most frightening to me is the fact that only 30% of the eligible voters actually vote. To me that means we have just turned on the TV and tuned out the USA.
We surrendered this country to people who are unethical, unswerving in their loyalty to whom ever will bribe them with the most money or perks.
This bunch gives itself automatic raises, free perks at the taxpayers expense and when questioned tells the american people "WE WILL POLICE OURSELVES".

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
the gov't, hands down, especially our current one, all three branches! i'm about ready to take down the stars n stripes and start flyin' the "don't tread on me" flag! too much sabre rattling w/o proper forethought, and too much being handed out to capitalist buddies, not good for working class americans, ever...

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So far it's a shut out for the gov't. Not everyone has the same primary reason but the government wins hands down.

I agree with the others, the government scares me more. My wife and I are similar politically and on our outlook of society etc., but she fears terrorists more. Her faith in the government is light years ahead of mine.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Terrorists.

As it stands now I can take my kids fishing and to a ball game if I want. I enjoy freedom and the spoils of democracy. I understand that paying taxes is just part of funding the american government. Do I wish the american government was run better? Sure! I will bet a good portion of americans and those in the government wish that to but that is a age old argument with no simple solutions or easy answers.

I do fear being dead or my wife and kids killed due to some radical nut who is hell bent on killing large amounts of civilians.

I will gladly pay taxes and support the troops and even homeland security if it means I can continue to do the things I like knowing someone is watching however security just like charity starts at home.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The govt has the ability to harm all of us, from sea to shining sea, big cities to a homestead on a mountain in MT. In reality the terrorists on their best day threaten but a small number of us.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I haven't answered because neither OUR government or terrorists keep me awake with fear. It is not THE government. It is OUR government, and altho citizens must be vigilant to keep our government from abusing our rights as individuals, I do not think my government has any intent to kill me. The terrorists do, so many of these responses surprise me.

·
Registered
267 Posts
What do I fear most? Losing power in heavy weather, the bow going down wind and taking a wave over the transom. The crew always gets to hear the sea anchor lecture every time the weather is bad.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
[Q]paddywagon originally wrote:
Terrorists.

As it stands now I can take my kids fishing and to a ball game if I want. I enjoy freedom and the spoils of democracy. I understand that paying taxes is just part of funding the american government. Do I wish the american government was run better? Sure! I will bet a good portion of americans and those in the government wish that to but that is a age old argument with no simple solutions or easy answers.

I do fear being dead or my wife and kids killed due to some radical nut who is hell bent on killing large amounts of civilians.

I will gladly pay taxes and support the troops and even homeland security if it means I can continue to do the things I like knowing someone is watching however security just like charity starts at home.
[/Q]

Well, thats fine, but it's about a billion times more likely that a fellow American will make you dead thru either negligence or assault. Don't fear death, it is inevitable. With any luck we will all die in our own beds in our sleep.
Pat in Joppa

·
Registered
98 Posts
[Q]djones originally wrote:
I haven't answered because neither OUR government or terrorists keep me awake with fear. It is not THE government. It is OUR government, and altho citizens must be vigilant to keep our government from abusing our rights as individuals, I do not think my government has any intent to kill me. The terrorists do, so many of these responses surprise me.
[/Q]

I consider the chances of me or mine being killed by terrorists to be at or near zero

·
Registered
762 Posts
[Q]Erik the Red originally wrote:
[Q]djones originally wrote:
[/Q]

I consider the chances of me or mine being killed by terrorists to be at or near zero
[/Q]
As I say, it's not something on my mind or keeping me awake at nite.

But what ,then do you consider the chances of your government killing you? Also at or near zero? High? Medium?

If high or even medium, please explain why. I don't understand all this fear of our government. I may not trust our government, but I don't fear it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts