Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard that for most species, it is better to fish a couple of hours on each side of the slack tide (stripers being an exception)...that some fish go and hide during the really fast movement of the tide so as to not waste energy...I would suspect that ambush hunters are susceptible during this time because this would be a great time for things to be swept in front of them...the question is, once the water really starts moving, is there a particular fish or way to fish that works well for you...for me, I just usually troll when that happens, or try to fight the drift with the motor...haven't had much luck during the time of fast tide movement

·
Registered
374 Posts
When I was anchored in about a 1 or 1.5 knot current this weekend, I was surprised that the small croaker and roundheads were still biting well. It didn't seems to bother them. I have never tried fishing in current more than 1 knot besides drifting for flounder.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
For some reason oyster toads bite well when the current is ripping along with small juvenile fish that haven't learned to feed efficiently. I've found adult fish to be picky and feed with less current. IMHO really big fish are excruciatingly selective feeders. They don't have to eat very often and will rarely go out of their way to actively pursue a meal in fast current. If I'm at anchor when the current is hauling I usually wait things out and continue to use the technique I am using. If I am trolling I will continue to troll into the current never with it unless I am after faster swimming fish like blues or mackeral.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Also, flounder like clear water, so the faster the current, the more stirred up it is. On the seaside you fish the top of the incoming and then when it starts moving out but is still green (clear).

For fish that avoid current, they do hang out in eddies and holes out of the current, looking for bait breezing by, so that's the strategy for working structure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts