Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone wouldn't mind letting me know what fly patterns (colors) I should tie this winter to get set for Stripers in the Ches Bay. Here is what I have so far:

Clousers and Half and Halfs: All white, all black, Chart over white, Yellow over white, Olive over white, Pink over white, Pink over yellow and Grey over white

Deceivers: White, Black, Chart and Yellow (also have some Bucktail deceivers)

Other: Crease flies (Blue, Grey and Olive), Gurglers, Gonzos, Gummy minnows, Joe Bruce's Silverside and Bay Anchov patterns and a few Marabou chum flies.

What else should I tie? Thanks.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Crab colored clousers and/or gonzos. The stripers love 'em and if you put it in front of a croaker they'll eat it too.

Every incidental hardhead I've gotten on the fly in the bay has been on a crab colored gonzo or clouser.

David

·
Registered
635 Posts
Hey TF. I don't have the actual recipe from Joe Bruce's book but the ones I have are olive bucktail over a little bit of tan bucktail over white bucktail. In the middle of all that there is some gold crystal flash and copper flashabou.

There might be detailed instructions for it somewhere on the web but I haven't seen them.

Hopefully one of the more experienced tiers will chime in with the exact recipe.

David

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
You know how if you ask 10 people ten questions... you get ten different answers?
Bucktail deceivers, siliclones, steve farrar flies, and polar minnows. I don't throw wieghted flies anymore... with one exception under very specific circumstances..
You add those flies above to your arsenal right away and you will be well ahead of the game. It makes a difference with numbers and size.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
245 Posts
Tony,

You mind elaborating on what keeps you from weighted flies? I'm mostly using thing with heavy eyes, I just started using some non weighted flies and those only occassionaly.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Ches,
100% my opinion and mine alone... I don't want to hijack the thread.
You can hang a fly in the face of a fish if it is unweighted. I have found that by hanging that fly in the current, a well dressed fly has more natural action than you could ever hope to impart by stripping it in. The current can make a fly dance. I took a hard look at how bigger fish came over the side. An extremely high percentage came from a dead stick presentation at the end of a swing...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts